turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can i open my tax2016 file if dont have software on my computer

I can not find my TurboTax Deluxe CD I purchased to do my taxes and I don't want to have to repurchase it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

how can I print my 2016 taxes?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you purchased the CD directly from TurboTax.com there might be a download of the 2016 software in the downloads in your TurboTax account. Sign in with the exact same user ID that you used when you purchased the CD, and go to the following link to access your downloads.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/downloads_unlocks.jsp

If you can't find a download that way, call TurboTax customer service and see if they will give you a download to replace the lost CD. Go to the following link to get a phone number to call, during the hours that customer service is open. The current hours are Mon - Fri, 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific time.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

After you reinstall the TurboTax software on your computer, if your .tax2016 file includes a state return, you have to install the state before you will be able to open your return.

I need a copy of my 2016 tax return

@86250459 wrote:

I need a copy of my 2016 tax return

How was the 2016 return prepared?   This answer assumes it was prepared online.  If prepared in desktop software (CD/download), it will not be in an online account.

Was your 2016 return prepared with Online TurboTax?  If so, log in to your account and look in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."   Choose tax year 2016, and look for a link to download/print the PDF.   Do you find evidence of your return there OK, but when you try to download, does it ask you to pay?    If it was prepared in Free Edition last year, access will be locked.   If that's your situation, we can tell you how to pay to unlock your 2016 return.   The method to unlock it depends on what all you have done with your 2018 return.

If you find no evidence at all of your 2016 online return in that account, we can tell you how to look for multiple accounts.    A return prepared in desktop software (CD/download) will not be in an online account.

Please answer all of the following:

1. Have you already filed a 2018 return in Online TurboTax, or is one still in preparation?  Or did you file elsewhere?
  2. Was the 2018 return prepared in Free Edition?
  3. Is the 2018 return in the SAME account as the 2016 online return?

We can tell you how to unlock a return once you answer all the questions above.

There's also a free option if a return transcript will suit your purpose.   You may be able to immediately download one at the IRS website if you qualify to open an IRS account there.  Otherwise, to order a transcript to come by postal mail takes 5-10 calendar days.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

How can I go by getting a copy of my tax return paper of 2016 when I don't remember if I got it on Turbo tax or micro soft

My 2016 tax form is under micro soft words and it wont let me make copies of the form I have tried everything that I can think of. I have tried to go to desk top with 2016 tax form I am being careful not to loose it please give me some other idea deals plus I have micro soft word now

Microsoft word has nothing to do with Turbo Tax.  What file do you have?  Do you have the tax data file ending in .tax2016 or a pdf file of it?  If you have the .tax2016 file you can only open it with the 2016 Desktop program installed on your computer.  

@ 86250459 wrote:

My 2016 tax form is under micro soft words and it wont let me make copies of the form I have tried everything that I can think of. I have tried to go to desk top with 2016 tax form I am being careful not to loose it please give me some other idea deals plus I have micro soft word now

We're having trouble understanding what all you are doing.  

First of all, how was your 2016 return prepared--was the 2016 return prepared in Online TurboTax or desktop TurboTax (CD/download)? 

"My 2016 tax form is under Microsoft Word."
 You cannot view it with Microsoft Word.  Is it launching Word by mistake?

Is it this:   If prepared online, did you download the 2016 PDF, and when you try to open your 2016 return PDF, does it open in Microsoft Word instead of your PDF viewer?   If so, it may have downloaded with the wrong file extension.   Normally, the PDF of your return should end in PDF.  Does your return file end in *.txt or *.doc instead?   If so, first try changing the file extension to .PDF and if that doesn't work, then try to download the 2016 PDF again using a different browser.

If your file ends in *.tax2016, that is the data file, not the PDF.  The data file can only be opened in 2016 desktop software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies