Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sundar-vedula
Returning Member

How can I download Turbotax 2015 that bought a CD for? I don't have my original CD any more - I have the purchase invoice from Amazon

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

How can I download Turbotax 2015 that bought a CD for? I don't have my original CD any more - I have the purchase invoice from Amazon

You are probably out of luck.  TurboTax is no longer offering 2015 software in the prior year products for sale, and you did not even purchase the software from TT originally.  TT is no longer supporting 2015 or updating the software.  It is also too late for you to get a refund for a 2015 return.  What are you trying to do?

You can try contacting customer support, but don't get your hopes up that they will be able to help.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time 7 days per week through October 25, 2019.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Why do you need 2015?  Do you have a .tax2015 file you want to open?  There might be a way.

sundar-vedula
Returning Member

Not sure I understand. I got audited for my 2015 CA state tax refund, and there is a change in my CA state taxes which will require that I amend my 2015 federal return. For that, I need Turbotax 2015, and I legally purchased it - so how can Intuit not support it any more? 

sundar-vedula
Returning Member

And yes, I do have my .tax2015 file. But, I do need to open it and re-do my taxes thanks to the audit. 

@sundar-vedula wrote:

Not sure I understand. I got audited for my 2015 CA state tax refund, and there is a change in my CA state taxes which will require that I amend my 2015 federal return. For that, I need Turbotax 2015, and I legally purchased it - so how can Intuit not support it any more? 

Go to this TurboTax website to download the 2015 TurboTax Amend software - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/amend/ty15/

Don't know how long TurboTax will keep up this website so download ASAP.

sundar-vedula
Returning Member

Thanks. Turns out that link is for Windows only, is there a mac version?

I just realize that Federal taxes can only be amended going back 3 years (i.e. 2016 this year). But, I got audited for CA where I made a mistake and now have to pay higher taxes to CA, and therefore, want to claim the increased taxes I pay as an exemption on my federal return. If I can't amend, how can I claim this extra exemption? Doesn't seem right that CA can collect extra taxes but I can't now claim them on my federal. 

@sundar-vedula wrote:

Thanks. Turns out that link is for Windows only, is there a mac version?

Sorry, there is not amend software for a Mac.  You would have to download the 2015 Max desktop installation file to amend the 2015 tax return.

Since TurboTax no longer supports tax year 2015, you would have to purchase the 2015 software from a reputable online vendor such as Amazon.  There may or may not be updates or state programs available from TurboTax for tax year 2015.

IRS Form 1040X  - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040x--2018.pdf

IRS Form 1040X instructions - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040x--2018.pdf

You don't need to amend 2015.  You deduct the state taxes paid the year you actually pay them.  If you paid the extra CA tax now in 2019 it will be a 2019 federal deduction.  

You can deduct any state taxes paid (for any year) or state estimates actually paid in during the year on your federal return if you Itemize deductions.  But just the tax, not anyinterest or penalties.

sundar-vedula
Returning Member

Ah, I see - thanks for that information. What sucks is that starting 2018, the deduction under SALT is now capped so I get zero benefit (living in CA, a high state income tax state). So even though 2015 tax law permitted deducting the entire state tax amount paid, the fact that the audit happened now strips me of my ability to deduct my 2015 state taxes in 2019. So looks like amending 2015 or 2016 isn't an option then? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies