turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How and where do am I pay my state taxes???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
PatrickL

The IRS will let you pay off your federal tax debt in monthly payments through an installment agreement.

If you haven't filed yet, step through the File section of TurboTax until you reach the screen How do you want to pay your federal taxes? Select the installment payment plan option, click Continue, and follow the onscreen instructions.

If you already filed, or you're unable to find this option in TurboTax, you can apply for a payment plan at the IRS Payment Plans and Installment Agreements web page (make sure you've filed your return before applying through their site).

State Payment Plans

Most states offer some kind of installment payment plan as well, although the procedure varies from state to state.

The easiest way to obtain the info you need is to simply search the internet using the phrase <state> tax payment plan(for example, New Jersey tax payment plan or Illinois tax payment plan). You can also try contacting your state Department of Revenue for details.

I'M TRYING TO PAY MY STATE TAXES

Most states want you to mail a check or money order, or use a debit/credit card to pay on the state’s own tax web site. You have not mentioned what state you are trying to pay.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

How do I pay state tax online

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Ther is a Direct Debit option and TurboTax will let you know which tax refund and tax payment options your particular state offers.

Please refer to the article below for more help.

What is direct debit and how does it work?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply. What about Missouri? Can I use Direct Deposit for Missouri tax?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can direct deposit your Missouri refund. Enter the banking information in the File section. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies