turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home office deduction with 1065-K1

I include a 1065-K1 in my personal taxes for my business that is a partnership.

I use part of my house as office to conduct this business.

Can I claim home office deduction? If yes, then how?

TurboTax gives the Home Office deduction option only when I have a business income thru 1099-MISC.

I do not see a Home Office deduction option when I report my business income thru 1065-K1.

Any pointers?

Thanks
ST3000

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

It depends on whether you were required to pay these expenses under the partnership agreement. 

Your home office expenses fall within "unreimbursed partnership expenses", which are discussed in the "Unreimbursed Partnership Expenses" section of IRS Instructions for Schedule E at this link.

As explained by Community user PatriciaV, there are basically three ways a partnership agreement can handle this issue:

1. specifically allow reimbursement for partner expenses outside the partnership,
  2. specifically disallow reimbursement for partner expenses outside the partnership, or,
  3. be silent as to reimbursement. 

Only number 1 "specifically allow reimbursement" permits the deduction according to the IRS instructions. 

If these expenses are allowed from you as a deduction, you enter them as a part of the Schedule K-1 entry.  TurboTax will ask you about unreimbursed partnership expenses during the interview, and follow up entry at the end of Schedule K-1 input.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for that explanation DavidS127.

>> TurboTax will ask you about unreimbursed partnership expenses during the interview, and follow up entry at the end of Schedule K-1 input.

TurboTax does not ask me about the un-reimbursed expenses after schedule K-1 inputs??!!

I am entering all the schedule K-1 information under the Personal Income Tab in TurboTax.

Other place I see for entering such expenses is under Personal Deduction & Credits tab ==> Employment Expenses ==> Job Related Expenses. But that does not co-relate that expense back to the unreimbursed partnership expenses. 

Still a little lost

ST2003

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should see a screen in TurboTax when you enter your partnership K-1 schedule that says "Describe this Partnership" and one of the options is "I am required to pay supplemental business expenses on behalf of this partnership/LLC for which I am not reimbursed."

Once your check that box, you should be allowed to enter your home office expenses as a single line item, under "Miscellaneous Supplemental Expenses."

jasncaly

Thank you for the information but I cannot find the option "I am required to pay supplemental business expenses on behalf of this partnership/LLC for which I am not reimbursed."  I am using Turbo Tax Home and Business 2019.  I am on the screen under Personal, Personal Income, Describe the Partnership.  That option is not on the list.  Am I missing something?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It is after you have entered dollar amounts. 

jasncaly

Ok I see it now thank you.  There are two screens that are titled "Describe the Partnership".  One towards the beginning and another towards the end.  The screen towards the end is the one I needed.

mrblack66
Returning Member

I search and cannot find this form 1065-K1  included and I upgraded to the Home and Business version. I have a partnership with K1 income not schedule C.

any help appreciated.

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Please clarify if the Partnership sent you Schedule K-1 and exactly what entry you are trying to make.

@mrblack66 

mrblack66
Returning Member

Yes I have a K1 and filled in all the correct entries into TT.   I am in   partnership  but our business is run remotely from our homes and I have a dedicated office within my home strictly for business.   Thought from this thread that the  1065 K1 form is where you enter home office deduction for K1s but I cannot find this  in my version.  The only place I see for home office deduct  is with a Schedule C but that is not the case for me.

thank you

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will have to take your home office deduction on Schedule C.  Form K-1 is an informational form.  You use the information on the form to complete your tax return.  Your net earnings for self-employment are in Box 14 Code A on your Schedule K-1 Form 1065,

mrblack66
Returning Member

Thanks you and sorry for my ignorance but I  thought Schedule C was for Sole Proprietor or freelance  only  and  I am in a partnership. I tried it out by adding Schedule C  and filled out questions on car and home TT  didnt recognize the info I entered for income  on my K1 and gave no deduction since its showing no profit. I dont think you can do K1 and Schedule C from what I see. 

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Are these partnership expenses that you pay but are not reimbursed?

If Schedule K-1 came from Form 1065, and you were required to pay these expenses under the partnership agreement, you may report your expenses on Schedule E (Partnership Income) as "Unreimbursed Partnership Expenses" (UPE). In this case, TurboTax will ask you about UPE, with follow-up entry at the end of the Schedule K-1 input (see below).

But if the partnership agreement specifically states that the partnership has a non-reimbursement policy when expenses are incurred outside of the partnership or that it does not specifically require partners to pay for certain expenses, the deduction may be disallowed at the partner level. 

If you qualify to report Unreimbursed Partnership Expenses, you will enter this during the interview for the related Schedule K-1.

1. Go to Income >> Schedule K-1 >> Start/Update
  2. Choose Partnership/LLC and Add or Edit your K-1.
  3. Follow the prompts to a page titled "Describe the Partnership."
  4. Check the box for "I am required to pay supplemental business expenses on behalf of this partnership/LLC for which I am not reimbursed."
  5. Answer "yes" to the question about "...your own pocket?".
  6. Answer "yes" to the question about vehicle expenses (if applicable).
  7. Continue to enter your vehicle information.
  8. If you do not own the vehicle (ex: the Partnership holds the title), you will be able to report expenses but you won't be able to use the standard mileage method.
  9. Continue to the end to see your total vehicle deduction.
  10. You will be given the opportunity to report other expenses on subsequent pages.
  11. Be sure to report any reimbursements you received from the partnership.
  12. Continue back to the K-1 Summary page to save your entries.

If you have TurboTax for Desktop, you can use the Forms icon to view your entries on the Supplemental Business Expenses Worksheet (Suppl Exp - P) under the related K-1 Partner for this Partnership.

mrblack66
Returning Member

Appreciate your response. We do not have a non-reimbursement policy.  I have gone thru the steps  you have shown and entered vehicle info and that worked to show a deduction but this method does not give you the home office deduct like  you see in a  Schedule C.  Is there another version of turbo tax that does. I currently have Home & Business upgraded  from and really don't see  the difference. I see a Self Employed version will that get me to what I am looking for.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

No.  For a partnership you will first have to calculate what your home office expense is on your own and then enter that amount as an 'Unreimbursed partner expense'.  The self-employed version of TurboTax has a whole interview for the home office deduction but not this partnership entry sheet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies