Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akromps10

Hi, if I have multiple transactions on the same day for the same stock, do I input the individual amounts or do I input the numbers from the bold row that says "Totals" ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hi, if I have multiple transactions on the same day for the same stock, do I input the individual amounts or do I input the numbers from the bold row that says "Totals" ?

akromps10,

Unfortunately, like many tax questions, the answer is "it depends".  

(A) If all those transactions are listed as "Basis Reported to the IRS" or simply "Covered" AND there are no adjustments such as Wash Sale, i.e. your brokerage statement just shows dates, proceeds, cost and gain/loss, then:

i) If those transactions are listed under "Short Term" , describe the composite transaction as "BOX A STOCKS", choose "Various" for the acquisition date, enter the date of the transaction, the total proceeds, and the total cost.

ii) If they are listed under "Long Term", mark them as "BOX D STOCKS" and continue as above.

[Side note: this can even be done to group transactions made on different days.]

(B) Transactions not listed as "Basis Reported to the IRS" or "Not Covered" will need to be reported individually.  It is allowable to select the adjustment box that says Multiple Transactions on a Single Line and separately mail in a copy of your 1099-B brokerage statement with a form that is printed out by TurboTax.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If all of them sold on the same day, you can include those as one transaction as one. If they were bought on different days, you can say, "various".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies