turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help! Haven't filed in several yrs & want to correct. Research online advises not to do this w/o representation, but I'm unemployed & poor. Is there any help for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Help! Haven't filed in several yrs & want to correct. Research online advises not to do this w/o representation, but I'm unemployed & poor. Is there any help for me?

There are people who can assist you if you qualify (Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC)).

See https://www.irs.gov/advocate/low-income-taxpayer-clinics/low-income-taxpayer-clinic-income-eligibili...

Carl
Level 15

Also, how long *exactly* is "several years"? It matters, because you flat out can not use turbotax to file a 2015 tax return or older. TurboTax only supports their software for the current tax filing year (now 2019) and three year's back. So if you need to file a 2015 or older return, you'll have to do that elsewhere.

Thank you so much, if they can't help me then I'm sure they can point me in the right direction.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!  That answers my question "Does TurboTax offer the same services that a co such as PriorTax does" and am trying to figure out how to do this in the least expensive way possible.   For the first 3 years - 2018, 2017 & 2016 - it seems this site would be the most cost effective.   My taxes should be simple - middle income, single, renter, no assets, no dependents, had reasonable tax deductions withheld for Fed and State each pay date.

It may be helpful financially to find out if Collection Statute Expiration Dates (CSDEs) would apply to my older returns, but I don't know how to find that out yet.  Also, I read during researching the most the IRS goes back is 6 yrs - haven't confirmed that on the IRS site yet tho.     Tax preparation is not my career field but I'm sure I can do this with the right guidance - I have to as I can't afford to hire someone to do it.

I'm trying to fix this now because I'm trying to get back into college.  To get funding to go back to college FAFSA requires access to tax returns.    Interesting to note the college guidance office directed me to the TurboTax site.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2016, 2017, or 2018 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you very much!    That sounds like my next step  🙂

@donnamz1223 wrote:

Thank you very much!    That sounds like my next step  🙂

It depends if you owe tax for those years or should get a refund.    There is no penalty for late taxes if you were owed a refund but you cannot get a refund for any tax year before 2016 so there is little need to file for those years.  However, if you OWE tax for prior years then the late penalties and interest on the overdue tax grows from the time the that was due and could be very large by now.  In that  case, do not do it yourself, but seek a tax professional in your area.  There are ways that a professional can look at the entire situation and make a deal with the IRS to reduce the total penalties.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!    I'd love to hire a tax professional; however, the budget doesn't allow for it.     So far the least expensive option I've found is PriorTax at ~$50 for each year.   Also, I've been checking what assistance services are out there for struggling people like me and still have a couple options to check, ie checking different resources like AARP or community volunteer orgs

@donnamz1223 wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!    I'd love to hire a tax professional; however, the budget doesn't allow for it.     So far the least expensive option I've found is PriorTax at ~$50 for each year.   Also, I've been checking what assistance services are out there for struggling people like me and still have a couple options to check, ie checking different resources like AARP or community volunteer orgs

@donnamz1223 wrote:

Again it depends if you owe or expect a refund.   If you owe then you can certainly do the back tax yourself and pay the back taxes, but then expect a HUGE bill form the IRS for interest and penalties. A tax professional can help reduce that.

If you are owed a refund then you can file yourself for free if your taxes are simple, just download the blank forms from the IRS and fill them out.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040--2016.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2016.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040--2017.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2017.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040--2018.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2018.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2018.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you so much for the reply, I appreciate you took the time to respond  🙂

It turns out I will owe a substantial amount (over $10k once fines and penalties are added) once I complete all prior years.   At what point do you recommend I contact a tax professional?   After I've completed filing all of the prior years so I know the total amount due or ASAP?    I just purchased the 2017 product and completed the return for that year, it performed well, to expectations & not painful to use - I would use it for 2016 & 2018 also.

@donnamz1223 wrote:

At what point do you recommend I contact a tax professional?  

Yesterday if not sooner.   A tax professional might be able to get the IRS to reduce the  penalties with an offer in compromise.   I would talk to a professional (not a store front  tax mill, but one who deals with issues like this) ASAP before you file anything yourself.   A few hundred spent on a professional might save thousands.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies