turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, On my W2 box 14 indicates FFSELF, however there is no category listed, how do I know which category to select from box 14 dropdown to submit my return ? Tax Year 2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Hello, On my W2 box 14 indicates FFSELF, however there is no category listed, how do I know which category to select from box 14 dropdown to submit my return ? Tax Year 2020

An employee can put anything they want in box 14.  There are only a few standard entries that TurboTax know about.   Ask the employer what it means and what is is for.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

found this snippet for an ADP site...but couldn't find the details:

".. employees will display on the 2020 Form W-2 in Box 14: Earnings reported under FF Employee Pay will display as code FFSELF; Earnings reported under FF ..."

Probably something to do with the Families First Corona Virus Relief Act (FFCRA)  but I can't know for sure

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
tsbdwb

On my daughter's Paystub and W2 this was for the Sick time she got paid during mandatory COVID 19 quarantine. She worked with Co-worker  on Sunday, Monday he was COVID-19 Positive. Thus she had to do Mandatory  quarantine.  Pay check says FF Employee Pay. Not sure what it stands for, but I know 100% this is what this line is for on her pay stub.  Hope this helps someone. 

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

FFSELF that is listed on your W2, are amounts paid to you as qualified sick leave wages or qualified family leave wages under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. Specifically, up to three types of paid qualified sick leave wages or qualified family leave wages are reported in Box 14:

The three types are:

1. Sick leave wages subject to the $511 per day limit because of care you required.
  2. Sick leave wages subject to the $200 per day limit because of care you provided to another.
  3. Emergency family leave wages.

For instance, if you received wages while caring for another you would pick the category Sick leave wages subject to $200. If category 1 or 2 above do not pertain you would choose Emergency family leave wages.

@maloymichaels

[Edited 02/15/2021 | 5:54 PM PST]

What does ARSELF stand for

AamilD
Expert Alumni

ARSELF is the code used to indicate the amount paid to you for sick leave for your own care under the American Rescue Plan Act. According to the Plan, payments were not allowed to exceed $511 per day for 2 weeks with a maximum limit of $5,110. This earnings will only apply to leave taken between April 1, 2021 and September 30, 2021.

When you enter your W-2 information, enter the information on Box 14 as stated on your W-2 and TurboTax will automatically make a determination on how it will impact your Tax Return.

ng8
Returning Member

What is ffself on box of w2

PattiF
Expert Alumni

FSELF that is listed on your W2, are amounts paid to you as qualified sick leave wages or qualified family leave wages under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. Specifically, up to three types of paid qualified sick leave wages or qualified family leave wages are reported in Box 14:

The three types are:

1. Sick leave wages subject to the $511 per day limit because of care you required.
  2. Sick leave wages subject to the $200 per day limit because of care you provided to another.
  3. Emergency family leave wages.

For instance, if you received wages while caring for another you would pick the category Sick leave wages subject to $200. If category 1 or 2 above do not pertain you would choose Emergency family leave wages. From @GloriaL

@ng8

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies