turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I owed federal taxes and paid the exact amount estimated by turbo tax after IRS had accepted return. Today I received a bill from IRS for the same amount.

Is this a reassessment of owed amounts or did they not register my payment? Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Hello, I owed federal taxes and paid the exact amount estimated by turbo tax after IRS had accepted return. Today I received a bill from IRS for the same amount.

How did you pay it?  Did you send a check with a 1040V voucher?  Or with a 1040ES slip?  Or pay online?   Send the IRS a copy of your check or bank statement or credit card showing the payment.  Maybe it got applied to the wrong year.

What did the bill/letter say?  It could be an additional amount.  

Thanks for the reply.  I paid online and funds cleared my bank account.  The amount they are billing is the exact amount I owed and paid. Also the statement does not mention anything about adjusted amounts.  The is also no letter of explanation. It is simply a bill statement.  Thanks

Just send the IRS proof of payment.

Carl
Level 15

I would assume if you paid the IRS directly at www.irs.gov/payments, that you printed your receipt. If so, it's just a matter of sending them a copy of that receipt. Also, check your receipt to confirm that you actually paid your 2021 tax liability, and not something else. For example, if you selected 1040-ES, that would have been an estimated payment for 2022, and nothing applied to your 2021 tax liability.

@thi2day-gmail-co 

"the exact amount estimated by turbo tax "

The "amount you owe" calculated by TurboTax is not an estimate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies