turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KurlyGrl
Returning Member

head of household

When I file my 2022 taxes, I will file as Head of Household as I am single and my children still live at home. My 2 children will be 19 and 17 by February 2023, when taxes are normally done. I live in Georgia and make about 50k a year. I also have a part time job where I bring home about 350 every 2 weeks.  I've been there for just under 3 months now.  I am trying to maximize my tax refund.  How should my W4 look for each job to maximize my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

head of household

By the way, the tax return goes by December 31 each year.  How  old will they be on Dec 31, 2022?  

KurlyGrl
Returning Member

head of household

They will actually be 19 and 17 at Dec 31st.  

KurlyGrl
Returning Member

head of household

Just wondering if there is any advice you can give?

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

head of household

Hi KurlyGrl,  It can be tricky finding that sweet spot of just the right amount of tax withheld to not owe too much tax and not receive too large a tax refund!  The new Form W-4 is great when you have more than one job.  There is a W-4 Calculator that will take you step-by-step through the worksheet,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

For more than one job the key is the multiple job worksheet.  Here is an IRS resource for multiple jobs, 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/faqs-on-the-2020-form-w-4

Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.

I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies