turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WilliamJoe03
Returning Member

Going right to kid tax 2019 completion

I bought TurboTax Deluxe for 2019 taxes.  My accountant is doing mine.  How do I go directly to do taxes for my three children?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Are you using desktop software (CD/download)?  Once you have installed/downloaded the software and updated it, you can open the program and click New Return to get started on the first kid's return.  Save each return with a name; you can e-file up to five federal returns using desktop software.  You can e-file state returns for a state e-filing fee of $24.99 or print the state returns and mail them for free.  Each time you want to start a new return click on New Return.

Are your children your dependents??  Make sure that in Personal Info you say they can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
WilliamJoe03
Returning Member

Thanks.  My software was a download and the children are our dependents.  That was a helpful answer.

Once my account completes my taxes, can I enter his information in my information without actually submitting to IRS?

Your accountant is likely using professional tax software. Paid tax preparers cannot use ordinary desktop TurboTax software--it would violate the terms of service.   You will not be able to move that into your TurboTax file.  He might be able to save it as a pdf on a flash drive for you to put on your hard drive so you could open it with Adobe, but desktop TT will not open it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
WilliamJoe03
Returning Member

Can I enter the information myself just typing (not submitting) and save it for next year when I do 2020?

Your 2019 return?  So you can transfer it into next year?  Sure you can recreate your personal return.  That would be good practice and to compare to the accountant's return.  Hope it comes out exactly the same.  Or you can switch to Forms Mode to make it the same.

Be sure to save each return with different names so you can tell them apart.  Like if your name is John and your son is also named John it will save them with the same name so the second one will overwrite the first return.  Go to File-SaveAs and give it a unique name.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies