Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

USAOzi
Returning Member

Form 4868 inaccurate

I am required to submit a Form 4868 but the Form - which is NOT easily found in TurboTax - is faulty.  the instructions indicate that Box B must be ticked for amounts to flow to Form 1040 but there is no box B to tick, only box A (which freezes amount to Form 4868 only).  Also, the instruction to "see instructions" fails completely and does not take me toi any instructions and there are no instructions regarding Form 4868 toi be found in TurboTax Help.  HELP!!!!  HELP!!! HELP!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Form 4868 inaccurate

What are you trying to do?  It is too late to file an extension.  Did you make a payment with an extension?

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on 1040 Schedule 5 line 71 which goes to 1040 line 17 you need to enter it.  So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

USAOzi
Returning Member

Form 4868 inaccurate

I am a FISCAL YEAR filer who is resident overseas.  As such, my NORMAL filing date is Oct 15 but, providing ?I submit a Form 4868, I have until Dec 15 (IRS ruling).  Hence, the need to submit the Form 4868 - and no, it's NOT too late for ME, as long as thgey receive the Form 4868 and payment BEFORE Oct 15!

USAOzi
Returning Member

Form 4868 inaccurate

Your answer still diod NOT address why Form 4868 has no Box B to tick despite the instructions to ytick it to get amounts to flow to Form 1040

dmertz
Level 15

Form 4868 inaccurate

As far as I know, there has never been a box B.  The text should read "checkbox A," not "checkbox B."  (Prior to 2017 TurboTax the text simply read "the box" without referring to it as checkbox A or checkbox B.)

You can reach "On Demand Tax Guidance" by right-clicking on box A and selecting About Freeze calculation box.  However, this help is outdated and does not describe 2018 TurboTax's behavior.

The behavior on TurboTax's 4868 form has changed in recent years.  The way it works in 2018 TurboTax is, with the box marked, a blank line 4 or line 5 gets populated with whatever corresponding value has been calculated elsewhere in TurboTax (for line 4, from Tax after credits on the 1040 Worksheet; for line 5, from line 75 of the 1040 worksheet).  However, you can manually alter the value on either line 4 or line 5.  Once there is a value on line 4 or line 5, it will remain unless you delete the value (creating a blank entry which TurboTax will then update as described above) or you manually enter another value.  The amount entered on line 7 of TurboTax's 4868 form will flow to line 9 of the Tax Payments Worksheet if no entry has been made directly on line 9; an amount entered directly on line 9 will always remain as is.

With the box unmarked, blank lines 4 and 5 remain blank, and any amount on line 7 does not flow to line 9 of the Tax Payments Worksheet.  If an entry has been made directly on line 9 of the Tax Payments Worksheet, that entry will remain, otherwise unmarking the box will blank line 9.

dksweet

Form 4868 inaccurate

None of the above advice worked for Turbotax Deluxe 2020 on Mac. What worked was finding the worksheets that feed 4868, namely Schedule C and E worksheets and selecting the option for the business to NOT be considered a QBI (qualified business). Poof...QBI status went away without needing to delete forms or find a missing B box.. 

bjc0

Form 4868 inaccurate

I note that the erroneous Box B is still present (for the 2021 TurboTax Premier) in form 4868.  I spent a long time struggling with this.  If this is indeed just a typo, why wasn't it fixed in 2019 (or even 2020)?  Maybe someone from TurboTax support will take corrective actions.

USAOz

Form 4868 inaccurate

Dream on forver!

Intuit/TurboTax does not listen, nor do they want to listen to customers complaints - even when they are critiacal for tax compliance.

I have been complaining aboiut THIS issue and several others that seriously impact overseas citizens being tax complikant.  It has even resulted in me missing out on the third stimulus payment because of their incorrect forms!

Basically, they have become WOEFUL ever since Intuit acquired TurboTax and get increasuingly worse every year.  Gone are the days when a user could confidently complete their tax return with the knowledge that is is correct and compliant.

I wish there was a viable alternative to this crappy softwarfe with NO SUPPORT!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies