Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aroy0911
Returning Member

Foreign Capital Gain and related credit for foreign taxes paid

I have a foreign capital gain from the sell of real estate in Canada.  The gain was around $3,000 and the Canadian taxes on it were about $1,000.  I do not see a way to enter this transaction into turbo tax.  When I go into the foreign income credit section the only option is to choose  a dividend from an investment account.  The interview questions do not to relate to my situation.   I did enter the gain in the investment income section.  But there is no way to designate it as a foreign capital gain and tie the corresponding taxes paid in Canada for the tax credit to the gain.

Do I have to enter this manually on Form 1116 and omit the gain from the Investment Income section.  If so how do I go about doing this?  What would the category be for the gain (passive category, general, lump-sum distribution)?

Thx in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@aroy0911 , I looked over the  US-Canada tax treaty and there is really no assertions  that you can make other than relief from double taxation on "alienation of real property".   Thus your recourse  is to apply for foreign tax credit.

Under federal taxes, under credits & deduction  you get to choose foreign tax credit. This will trigger questions for  form 1116. There you will asked  for foreign source net income -- you enter the total foreign income  you got from the sale of the prop. i.e.  sales monies less US basis and before income tax by Canada.

This should work and if not , go to forms mode and enter the  foreign income associated on the form 1116.

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Perhaps @pk can answer this one.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@aroy0911 , I looked over the  US-Canada tax treaty and there is really no assertions  that you can make other than relief from double taxation on "alienation of real property".   Thus your recourse  is to apply for foreign tax credit.

Under federal taxes, under credits & deduction  you get to choose foreign tax credit. This will trigger questions for  form 1116. There you will asked  for foreign source net income -- you enter the total foreign income  you got from the sale of the prop. i.e.  sales monies less US basis and before income tax by Canada.

This should work and if not , go to forms mode and enter the  foreign income associated on the form 1116.

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

aroy0911
Returning Member

Thanks for your response.  I got on the phone with Turbo Tax and they helped me yesterday.  In the form 1116 questions they had me choose the itemized eductions option, which let me enter the amount.  I had been trying the other option which required me tie a foreign tax credit  to to a divided payment from one of my my investment accounts, which did not apply to my situation.  Hopefully this was the correct way to input this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies