Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rpalker
Returning Member

For this year all the versions seem to have a e file for State as an extra charge. Previous years this was included. Am I looking at the correct program? Home

I own a home. Have Stocks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

For this year all the versions seem to have a e file for State as an extra charge. Previous years this was included. Am I looking at the correct program? Home

it's always been that way -for like 25 years. 

most versions come with a free state download to complete your state taxes, but actually e-filing the state return has always been subject to a charge.

rpalker
Returning Member

I have been using Turbo Tax (CD version) for at least 20 years.  I never remember being charged for a New York State e-file.  I know the last number of years have included the NY State efile!

Did you move? New York State has a law that tax providers may not charge extra for state e-filing. Other states do not have such a law, and so even though the TurboTax desktop program may include one free state preparation module, state e-filing is an extra charge. You can avoid the charge by printing your return and mailing it in. Or, some states have a tax website where you can fill in a tax return and e-file it for free, by copying information from your TurboTax return.

Ahhh...NY.. Yeah, NY is a free e-file

But #1)  Did you buy the Deluxe desktop software from somewhere other than directly from TurboTax?  It comes in two flavors, one without a free state software set, and if you bought & Installed the wrong Deluxe, then you have to buy the state software itself, even if the e-file is free for NY residents ( That special Deluxe package intended for folks who live in non-income-taxing states).

But #2)  what year are you preparing now? 

a) IF working on 2020 taxes, then you might be checking  waaaaaay too soon.  There  may be many corrections to the software needed before Significant software updates will be required before you can file...don't attempt to file before, say, mid Feb of w2020.

b)  If you are working on 2019 taxes...then it's too late to e-file either the Federal or the state forms...after the end of October, 2020, all e-filing for 2019 taxes was permanently stopped for consumer software.

Or explain further what you are attempting to file, and where you see the NY "e-file" charge.

...Oh, from another post above, perhaps for a state that is not NY ?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

...OR ...if you are looking at the product descriptions on the web page ?

You need to actually click on the blue text about the e-file fee to get the pop-up description.    Then read the " * " footnote.  Scroll down to the bottom of the description that indicates:

" E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
rpalker
Returning Member

You are exactly correct.  I was just looking at the online advertisements for TurboTax Home & Business for 2020.

I looked at the 2019 Disk, and saw that "New York State" e file is included as NYS requires it to be at no charge.

Thank you for clearing this up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies