Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alflood
Returning Member

Filing Status and Claiming child

I am married to a foreigner. I have 2 kids but they are all living abroad. My kids are US citizen and my husband do not work as well. Can I file as a head of household as I support them financially? What filing status should I do? Can I claim child tax credit for my kids?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@alflood    from your post I assume that  (a) you are citizen;  (b) your children are born abroad;  (c)  your husband  is a non-resident alien , living with you  ;  (d)  your husband has no income (  world income );  

Need to know   1.  which country are you residing in ;  2. Is your husband  a citizen of this country;  3. are the children living with you ;  4. how long have been in this foreign country or away from the USA;  5. Is this your first year of filing  ( from abroad ) or how did you file in 2017;  6 . age of the children;  6.  Has your husband been to the USA before -- in the last three years  ??

alflood
Returning Member

My husband and kids are in the Philippines. This question is for next tax season. I am in USA and they are in the Philippines. We just got married. He has no work there. My children are born abroad but are US citizens. My husband has never been to the USA.
alflood
Returning Member

I am a US Citizen. My husband and kids are in the Philippines. My husband has no income. I am in the USA. My kids are in the Philippines and are US Citizens. I support them financially.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies