turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

okanehoshi
Returning Member

Filing deceased person tax, Court appointment/certified personal representative is unknown.

How should I go about filling my deceased mothers federal taxes. When I don't know who the court appointed or certified rep is? It is asking on form 1310.Does the court automatically appointment a person when some is deceased? How do I find the info? If I cant find it how do I file? I put an extension on her tax because I didn't know what to do at the time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Filing deceased person tax, Court appointment/certified personal representative is unknown.

contact the County Surrogate's Office where you parent resided.

They will tell you if a will was filed and how to get a copy of it.

And how to be appointed administrator yourself if that's what you want.

@okanehoshi 

I know for sure that there is no will. Do i have to make myself the Administrator to file the taxes? Is there a way to find out if someone already is? If I am not the Administrator do I even have to bother filing the taxes?

see my answer above.

they will tell you if someone is applying or was appointed Administrator.

If you are a relative, you would have been contacted to see if you want to be the Administrator,

But, if the first person did not name you ( inadvertently or on purpose)  then that can't happen.

If you are not settling the Estate (personal representative, Administrator, Executor) you don't have to file the deceased's tax return.

@iilioi 

Manage cookies