Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

st3w1n1

Filing a "dummy" married filing jointly federal form to file an out of state form

Good morning,

My subject line is probably not clear but, my wife works in another state(GA) and we file married filing jointly on our federal and state(NC) of residence and I file a separate state form for her GA where she works. I did this last year but can't remember how I did it. I know it involved making a "dummy" federal form but, I can't remember what the process was. I hope this makes sense. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Filing a "dummy" married filing jointly federal form to file an out of state form

Yes, you will need a "dummy" married filing separate return with your wife's information.  You can do this with a separate online account or use a desktop version to create up to five returns.  This will allow a state married separate return for her.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
st3w1n1

Thank you, is there a place on the turbotax website that explains exactly how to do this?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

This link  should help.  Generally, you will simply create a federal return for only your wife.  Her residence will be NC, but she will have income in another state (GA).  These questions are in the "My Info" section. 

You will only enter her income and the standard deduction.  This will generate a non-resident GA return for her it will also generate a NC resident return which you can ignore since you filed that one jointly.

You will only need to print/mail the GA return when done.  You won't be able to e-file since you are not e-filing the federal return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies