turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

patsyp6

Filed my 2017 taxes with turbo tax. My earnings were about 60,000. they are only showing I earned 1,700 in 2017 on the taxes I'm filing for 2018. how do I get this fix?

TT says I owe more this year because I didn't earn much in 2017.  I earned 60,000 but they say I only earned $1,700. I think this is affecting my 2018 taxes due.  Help please.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Filed my 2017 taxes with turbo tax. My earnings were about 60,000. they are only showing I earned 1,700 in 2017 on the taxes I'm filing for 2018. how do I get this fix?

Many people have multiple TT accounts and forget how to access them.  Log out of the account you are in now.

Account recovery :  https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

Or did you use the desktop version of TurboTax?  If so, the files are on your own hard drive.

patsyp6

I used the desktop version and I filed 2017 taxes with Turbo Tax. However, they are saying that since my AGI in 2017 was only $1,700 and I earned more than $100,000 in 2018 that it affects my taxes.  My AGI in 2017 was over $60,000.  I want to know why Turbo Tax is showing the incorrect AGI for 2017 when I filed my taxes through them last year and how I let them know thy are wrong.

@patsyp6 

If you are using the ONLINE software for 2018, and used Desktop for 2017 taxes, then you probably don't have the proper 2017 data in your Online tax account.   

Your 2018 Online account does not directly link to what you filed on your desktop for 2017 taxes....they are entirely separate systems.

So, if you are using Online software this year, (and have not paid for it yet) you can either:

1)  go to the Tools menu and Clear and Start over without using the data transfer from last year...then enter whatever 2017 data "might" be needed from your Desktop 2017 tax printout during the interview.

or

2) IF you have your ".tax2017" datafile on your home computer, You can Clear and Start Over from the Tools menu, but make the selection to transfer in your proper 2017 datafile from your desktop file.

"You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2017) if you're preparing your 2018 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2017.
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions

Note: If you already started your 2018 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started by selecting the Take me to my return button.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left-hand column, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to Clear & Start Over.)

Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file."

(the above came from the second set of expanded instructions in this faq:  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

((((Yikes....But why in the world would anyone suffer thru using Online software when they have used the far superior desktop in the past....of course I realize, some folks have to switch if their computer's OS  is too old  😉    ))

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies