turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FICA Tax Not Deducted During CPT

Hi,

I have been an exempt individual since 2016 (J1 and F1 visa). Hence, I passed the substantial presence test on July 3rd, 2021, and became a RA for tax purposes. And I used my CPT to work on a summer internship from June to September 2021. 

However, when I filled out the onboarding information for my internship in late May, since I have not passed the substantial presence test yet, I claimed to be an NRA. Therefore, during my entire internship, no FICA taxes were deducted. 

In 2022, as a RA, I used TurboTax to file my tax return for 2021 but I am a bit concerned about not paying the FICA taxes during my internship. Will that be an issue? Should I do anything to fix it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@biyao73 , the short answer as to whether your change of tax status  ( from NRA to RA for tax purposes ) changes your  FICA exception,  is a clear MAY NOT BE.   This is because FICA exception is not based on your  tax status. It is based on your  visa / student status and  that of your employer.    It is well opined/detailed in Revenue Procedure 2005-11. Generally speaking for FICA exception  (a) you must be an active student/ trainee  during the CPT period; (b) you must perform service for school/college/university or non-profit org. auxiliary to a school/College/University. There are also exceptions for professional employees with exceptional knowledge/skills when all the facts and circumstances are considered.

Bottom line --- since your were a student at the time and  on F-1, the payments during CPT ( and arranged through the school/ univ. ), would generally be FICA exception.

Is there more I can do for you?

pk

@tagteam 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@pk (again)?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@biyao73 , the short answer as to whether your change of tax status  ( from NRA to RA for tax purposes ) changes your  FICA exception,  is a clear MAY NOT BE.   This is because FICA exception is not based on your  tax status. It is based on your  visa / student status and  that of your employer.    It is well opined/detailed in Revenue Procedure 2005-11. Generally speaking for FICA exception  (a) you must be an active student/ trainee  during the CPT period; (b) you must perform service for school/college/university or non-profit org. auxiliary to a school/College/University. There are also exceptions for professional employees with exceptional knowledge/skills when all the facts and circumstances are considered.

Bottom line --- since your were a student at the time and  on F-1, the payments during CPT ( and arranged through the school/ univ. ), would generally be FICA exception.

Is there more I can do for you?

pk

@tagteam 

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the response!

The employer is not a school/university/non-profit but a consulting firm. However, I did find the opportunity through my university.  Will that change anything?

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies