Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Tax Filing Deadline

Will the TurboTax software be updated to allow paying of taxes due after 4/15/21 since the deadline is now 5/17/2021?  I am trying to efile and have the payment taken from my checking account as late as possible but the software will not allow a date pass 4/15/21.

Thanks!

Catie

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Wait a week ( or two )..it will be updated as soon as they can....but software updates "usually" occur on Wed or Thursday evenings, so check up on it again next Friday.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Wait a week ( or two )..it will be updated as soon as they can....but software updates "usually" occur on Wed or Thursday evenings, so check up on it again next Friday.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Great!  Thanks so much for the quick response!

What about the June 15 deadline for Texas filers?  It was announced back in Feb, but no reference/update in TurboTax.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for details about your state tax deadlines:

State income tax deadlines

@hki01

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick response...

That references STATE tax returns, which Texas doesn't do.  Not sure what FRANCHISE tax returns are.  However, IRS announced back in Feb, FEDERAL tax filing deadline for Texas residents have been extended to 06/15/21 (see link).  Don't see any mention or reference of it in application.  Want to be able to file/pay ONLINE via application on such date, 06/15/21.

Ref:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/victims-of-texas-winter-storms-get-deadline-extensions-and-other-tax-re...

@MichelleLO 

i.e. how does the software handle disaster zone declaration extensions for e-filing and paying without getting hit with a penalty/interest.

@hki01 

Once figured out...never file and pay on the deadline date...always do it at least 5 days earlier.  IF there is any hang-up of any kind, you'll need a few extra days to figure out what the problem was.....and the IRS doesn't care that you had a last-minute complication.....if it's an hour late....it's filed late.

I have the same question.  The payment is scheduled to be taken by IRS on April 15.  If the due date is now changed to May 17,  does Turbotax have a means to reschedule the payment so that it occurs on May 17?  Ditto Virginia state return.  

No...TTX does not have the means to change a payment that was already scheduled on a previous filing.  IF it can be changed..it ahs to be done by yourself directly contacting both VA and the IRS .....but it may be hard to get thru to them on the phone.

For those who have not-yet filed their taxes, they will be able to include a later payment date, once the software is updated to include those later dates....but this cannot be done AFTER you have already filed...

so, in other words, TTX has basically told we users that we are on our own.  Those of us who were prompt to ensure the filing requirement was respected are penalized.  I've used TTX for several years.  Given the lack of support and lack of effort to find a means to change the payment date,  it seems prudent to examine other means for the coming year.  Very unsupportive.  I expect more.  We all should expect better service.  Thank you for the information.  Now I will be wiser in the future.  .... likely without TTX.

@wantingtobewise 

No.  The IRS and State have your information already, and THEY do the debiting....not TTX.  

IF the State(s) and/or IRS would give  TTX the ability to change the payment dates, TTX "might" include a way to change them...but so far, I have never heard that was ever made available by any States or the IRS .  

BUT, for this year only...TTX did post this FAQ...so maybe the IRS will provide a way to change the date, but I suspect the eventual directions will be a direct IRS contact, or IRS website  (stranger things have happened though)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-change-my-payment-date/00/1331857

For VA...check the VA website to see what you can find

Since no response from MichelleLO, I called in to TTax Help.  I was told TTax is aware of Texas Disaster Zone Declaration (thx ST for the terminology!), and SW-update is in-process.  Will be available before the extended TX filing deadline, June 15...fingers X'd.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

@hki01

That's correct.

According to the TurboTax Blog Extension and Tax Relief for Texas Winter Storm Victims and the IRS's IRS announces tax relief for Texas severe winter storm victims page, Tax Year 2020 individual tax returns and payments that had previously been due on May 17 have had the deadline extended until June 15, 2021. 

The IRS is providing this relief to the entire state of Texas.  It automatically provides filing and penalty relief to any taxpayer with an IRS address of record located in the disaster area.

JJt1952

As of May 10, this change of due date for Texas Residents for Federal income taxes has not been made to turbotax.  

Texas was extended on federal filing and since we have to pay, how can I set up paying June 14th.  We don't have a state income tax so don't tell me it's state only.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies