Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Father passed away this pass year, who do I list as first social security number when my Mother files her taxes?

My father passed away in 2020. I know my mother's filing status is still Married filing jointly for 2020.

This is a trivial question but when she files should she list her social security number first or his? It was always his first for all past years. 

I don't want to confuse the IRS.

I know for 2021 she is just single, she does not have any dependents with her. - Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Father passed away this pass year, who do I list as first social security number when my Mother files her taxes?

sorry for your loss. i would leave as is but make sure you indicate that "deceased" appears for him by checking the appropriate box. some have reported e-filing problems but switching can also cause issues.  if listing hin first doesn't work then try switching. if neither works you'll have to mail in the return.  this is an IRS issue not TT.

also make sure the Social Security Adm has been notified of the death. 

You can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

sorry for your loss. i would leave as is but make sure you indicate that "deceased" appears for him by checking the appropriate box. some have reported e-filing problems but switching can also cause issues.  if listing hin first doesn't work then try switching. if neither works you'll have to mail in the return.  this is an IRS issue not TT.

also make sure the Social Security Adm has been notified of the death. 

You can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies