Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Father died, lived in NY but I live in CA and am doing his 2020 taxes. Which state?

Hi - my father lived in NY his whole life. I live in CA and am his only child and heir. I flew to NY every year that he was alive, to do his taxes for him on his computer, as he got older. He died last year. I just downloaded TT on my computer (in CA) and want to know if I need to file taxes for him in CA, in NY, or both?

I did change his (postal) mailing address to mine last year, after he went into a care home and could no longer manage his finances. So all of his tax documents have my CA address on them.

I know I have to file, but in which state or states? Thank you in advance!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Father died, lived in NY but I live in CA and am doing his 2020 taxes. Which state?

File a federal and a NY tax return for your father's final returns. Your physical location and his mailing address for tax forms didn't change his state of residence - he lived in NY his whole life.

If any of his tax documents listed CA for tax purposes (reporting income or withholding state/local tax), you may have to file a CA return to get a refund  of tax paid. In that event, he would be listed as a non-resident of CA and none of his income would be attributable to CA.

.... And, our condolences for your loss.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

File a federal and a NY tax return for your father's final returns. Your physical location and his mailing address for tax forms didn't change his state of residence - he lived in NY his whole life.

If any of his tax documents listed CA for tax purposes (reporting income or withholding state/local tax), you may have to file a CA return to get a refund  of tax paid. In that event, he would be listed as a non-resident of CA and none of his income would be attributable to CA.

.... And, our condolences for your loss.

@ToddL99 

Thank you very much for your answer and the information!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies