turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-File was rejected due to AGI, but AGI is not incorrect. Will I get fined for filing late?

tldr: will I get fined for filing late?

My federal returns were rejected because my 2017 AGI did not match the IRS records, but I got my AGI directly from TurboTax. I also downloaded my 2017 returns and double checked the number.

My only option it seems is to file my mail. But I e-filed on 4/15, and got my rejection on 4/16. If I file my mail, will I have to pay a late fee?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

E-File was rejected due to AGI, but AGI is not incorrect. Will I get fined for filing late?

One thing you might try is putting a zero for your 2017 AGI & then re-e-file.  If you are due a refund there is no penalty for filing a late return.  If you owe taxes, you have a 5-day grace period to either successfully e-file or paper-file your return to avoid possible penalties. April 20 is the last day of this grace period unless you're a Maine or Massachusetts resident, in which case you have until April 22.

What if I e-filed before April 15, but my return got rejected after the deadline?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4193187

When you mail your return, include a print out of the rejection message.  There is a grace period if you e-file on time and are rejected, but I don't know if its automatically applied, so adding a copy of the rejection may be helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies