turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file amended return, from MFS to MFJ, when one spouse had filed on paper

Last year, my spouse and I filed separately. We want to amend last year's return electronically & filing jointly.

IRS says "If amending a prior year return, and the original return for that year was filed on paper during the current processing year, then the amended return must be filed by paper."

My spouse had filed on paper, and I'd e-filed mine.

Can we e-file an amended MFJ return even though only one of us had e-filed last year, not the both of us?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What year is "last year"? If you are amending your 2020 tax return, TurboTax will not let you e-file the amended return in any case. A tax professional might be able to prepare an amended 2020 return and e-file it for you.

When you amend from separate returns to MFJ, you only amend one of the returns. You add the other spouse's information to the amended return. You are not amending both returns. For example, you could amend your MFS return, and add your spouse's information. Your spouse's MFS return just gets canceled.

If you amend your own return from MFS to MFJ you are amending a return that was e-filed, so if you are amending 2021 you should be able to e-file the amended return. I don't think it matters that your spouse's MFS return was paper filed.

HOWEVER, until recently the IRS did not allow an amended return to be e-filed if the filing status was changed. It's less than two months since the IRS removed that restriction. I don't know if TurboTax has been updated to allow e-filing an amended return with a change in filing status. Again, if TurboTax doesn't allow it, a tax professional might be able to prepare an amended return for you and e-file it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What year is "last year"? If you are amending your 2020 tax return, TurboTax will not let you e-file the amended return in any case. A tax professional might be able to prepare an amended 2020 return and e-file it for you.

When you amend from separate returns to MFJ, you only amend one of the returns. You add the other spouse's information to the amended return. You are not amending both returns. For example, you could amend your MFS return, and add your spouse's information. Your spouse's MFS return just gets canceled.

If you amend your own return from MFS to MFJ you are amending a return that was e-filed, so if you are amending 2021 you should be able to e-file the amended return. I don't think it matters that your spouse's MFS return was paper filed.

HOWEVER, until recently the IRS did not allow an amended return to be e-filed if the filing status was changed. It's less than two months since the IRS removed that restriction. I don't know if TurboTax has been updated to allow e-filing an amended return with a change in filing status. Again, if TurboTax doesn't allow it, a tax professional might be able to prepare an amended return for you and e-file it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies