Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted does this mean my taxes have been filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Ashby

Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted does this mean my taxes have been filed?

It means that either your taxes have been filed by you or someone using your social security number. If you had previously attempted to file your taxes, maybe it went through and you did not realize it. If not, you could have an identity theft issue. 

Also, double check your SSN entry to make sure it is correct.

Only filed once saying duplicate social did file e file for stimulus

"Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears you're trying to e-file the same return twice. If you need to change this return, you'll need to file an amended return on paper, by mail. If you'd like to e-file your state return using TurboTax, it will need to be filed along with your federal return. You may also e-file your federal return now, then submit your state return later via TurboTax, by mail, or by visiting your state's tax website for alternative e-filing options." This is what it says when i submit my name. I also tried to see if i quailfied for the non worker stimulus for the 2019 covid19  and i beleive thats how my ssnumber got crossed up i already have my turbo tax card just wasnt loaded with no money on it

I did the same thing! So is Electronic filling out of of the question? If so what’s the next best option. Amend? Or just mail it in? 

If you used the non-filer site to get the stimulus money and now you are trying to e-file a tax return, your e-file will be rejected.  See below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dluchs

Is the stimulus check causing E-Filing issues?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you incorrectly submitted the nonfiler form to request your economic impact payment ("stimulus check") even though you needed to file a tax return then yes, this will cause you to be ineligible to e-File a tax return this year.  A tax return was filed when filling out the nonfiler form. Your tax return will be required to be submitted by mail.  

@dluchs

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies