turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the free version of TurboTax cover recovery rebate credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, the Free online edition will support the Recovery Rebate Credit on the Form 1040 Line 30.

After completing the Other Tax Situations section of the program you will be asked about a stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

Stimulus Payment - Online.JPG

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Yes, the Free online edition will support the Recovery Rebate Credit on the Form 1040 Line 30.

After completing the Other Tax Situations section of the program you will be asked about a stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

Stimulus Payment - Online.JPG

Yes it will.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check this year, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Chris091090
Returning Member

What if i received the first stimulus of $1200 but did not receive the second stimulus of $600?

@Chris091090 wrote:

What if i received the first stimulus of $1200 but did not receive the second stimulus of $600?

Not everyone will receive the $600 second stimulus immediately.  The distribution will be completed on or before January 15, 2021.

Go to this IRS website for stimulus information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/treasury-and-irs-begin-delivering-second-round-of-economic-impact-payme...

Chris091090
Returning Member

I should have stated that I did not file a 2019 tax return. I got the first round of stimulus of $1200 based on my 2018 tax return through direct deposit. I haven’t received anything like a notice 1444 yet. 

Will I still be able to receive the second round of $600? Or will I have to file a recovery rebate? Will the free version of TurboTax add on a recovery rebate credit of $600 if I don’t receive it?

@Chris091090 wrote:

I should have stated that I did not file a 2019 tax return. I got the first round of stimulus of $1200 based on my 2018 tax return through direct deposit. I haven’t received anything like a notice 1444 yet. 

Will I still be able to receive the second round of $600? Or will I have to file a recovery rebate? Will the free version of TurboTax add on a recovery rebate credit of $600 if I don’t receive it?

You will just have to wait to see if you receive the $600 second stimulus on or before 01/15/2021.

Yes, the Free online edition can be used to report stimulus payments received or not received on the federal tax return Form 1040 Line 30.

However, it may be late January or early February before the software is updated to include the second stimulus payments.  So you should not try to file your 2020 federal tax return until at least mid-February to ensure any stimulus owed you is entered on the 2020 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies