Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child has a W2, how do we handle it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyT

Do not include your child's income on your tax return.  

It is possible that your child will not be required to file an income tax return.  Please see https://www.irs.gov/uac/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return for an interactive tool to help you determine if your son is required to file.  

Even if your child is not required to file a tax return, they may wish to do so to receive a refund of excess federal or state taxes that were withheld.

You will still be able to claim him as your dependent on your income tax return.  When filing the return, your child (or you, if you complete it) need to be very careful to mark that the child can be claimed as a dependent by someone else and that they will be claimed.  Please see screenshot below.

soneal7

What do I do if I forgot to mark child can be claimed as a dependent by someone else and that they will be claimed when I filed his taxes? I filed our own taxes as well and claimed him as a dependent and now I have received letter from IRS stating they removed the child tax credit for my son and now I owe the 3,ooo instead.  How do I fix this mistake?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies