turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

do i still need to pay 2022 estimate taxes after applying my 2021 tax refund to estimated taxes?

I am about to file my 2021 tax rerun and plan to apply my (approximately $2,000) tax refund to the 2022 estimated taxes.  However, my Q3 2022 estimated taxes may need to be more than the 2021 refund amount...

On Sept. 15, do I need to pay the just the difference as Q3 2022 estimated taxes? the full amount (since my 2021 return may not have been processed by Sept. 15? or nothing more until Q4 2022 estimated taxes (if any)? 

Also, are the rules the same both for Federal and CA-state refunds applied to the 2022 estimated taxes? or different? 

please advise. Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

do i still need to pay 2022 estimate taxes after applying my 2021 tax refund to estimated taxes?

@LP1968 - you can reduce your Sept 15 estimated payment by the amount of your 2021 refund that you are requesting be rolled to the 2022 tax return.

What @fanfare means is that when the IRS calculates whether or not you owe a penalty for 2022 (and the whole idea of the estimated payments is to avoid that!), the IRS will credit the 2021 refund as being received on April 15, 2021 and not on the day you settled your 2021 tax return - that is to your benefit. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Generally, refunds applied to next year go toward the first estimated tax payment ( in this case, April 15, 2022).

@LP1968 

@LP1968 - you can reduce your Sept 15 estimated payment by the amount of your 2021 refund that you are requesting be rolled to the 2022 tax return.

What @fanfare means is that when the IRS calculates whether or not you owe a penalty for 2022 (and the whole idea of the estimated payments is to avoid that!), the IRS will credit the 2021 refund as being received on April 15, 2021 and not on the day you settled your 2021 tax return - that is to your benefit. 

Thanks a lot @NCperson very helpful! 

Just one clarification: does the same logic apply also for estimate taxes to CA-state?  

Thanks again!

KristenParrish
Returning Member

Thanks for answering it.

Spoiler
Thanks for answering it. You must be thinking that which CV-writing service is the best. If you are searching for the best resume writing service, then I will suggest you this topcvwritersuk.com/citycv-review site. Here you will also get to see the positive reviews of the customers. I also got my cv made through this post and today I am working in a very good company.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies