turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to sign Rental Real Estate Safe Harebor Statement?

When entering rental income(renting out a room from my house where I live) and expenses on schedule E, I chose to expense instead of depreciate a new piece of furniture (<$2,500) that I bought in 2019. When I'm printing out the forms for filling, I found the "Rental Real Estate Safe Harbor Statement" that asking for my signature. It says "The property was not used as a residence for any part of the year." "250 or more hours of rental services were performed with respect to the rental enterprise." I don't want to sign it as these two requirements don't apply to me. Does this mean I can't expense the furniture? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@delan168 wrote:

Does this mean I can't expense the furniture?

Not necessarily, but you somehow managed to generate the wrong statement (the one you are referring to is for the QBI (Section 199A) deduction). 

Regardless, in another thread you mentioned you were renting at a rate that is below fair market value. If that is, indeed, the case then each day you do so is considered a personal use day and no deductions are allowed as a result (other than Schedule A deductions such as mortgage interest and property taxes).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@delan168 wrote:

Does this mean I can't expense the furniture?

Not necessarily, but you somehow managed to generate the wrong statement (the one you are referring to is for the QBI (Section 199A) deduction). 

Regardless, in another thread you mentioned you were renting at a rate that is below fair market value. If that is, indeed, the case then each day you do so is considered a personal use day and no deductions are allowed as a result (other than Schedule A deductions such as mortgage interest and property taxes).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies