turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to send 1099 misc for repair. Called well drilling company to fix a well pump and replace pipes, cost over $600?

If I called a repair company to repair a well pump and pipes.  I got a bill for over $600 do I have to send a 1099 misc?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do I need to send 1099 misc for repair. Called well drilling company to fix a well pump and replace pipes, cost over $600?

No, you do not send a Form 1099-MISC to a company that repaired a well pump and replaced pipes.

Is the replacement of a well pump a "repair" or "capital improvement"?

Thanks!

RaifH
Expert Alumni

If the replacement was for a well that was formerly not operational then it would qualify as a capital improvement. Otherwise, it would be classified as a repair. The IRS classifies various repairs and improvements in Publication 527. 

A well pump replacement should also fall under the routine maintenance safe harbor since it is a repair that you would expect to make more than once during the useful life of the well.

Many thanks!  It was existing and the well pump was struck by lightening.  Did not make an insurance claim as the repair was $1,135 and deductible was $1,000. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies