Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpdubin
Returning Member

Do I check the box "Paid family leave" if I got a 1099-G and was paid by my employer?

While on paternity leave, I received PFL compensation from EDD. During those 6 weeks, my employer covered the rest of my pay and they continued to cover me through the rest of my leave.

On the question, "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?", should I check the box, "Paid family leave - I earned all or part of this income as paid family leave."? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Do I check the box "Paid family leave" if I got a 1099-G and was paid by my employer?

Yes, but only if part of the income on the W-2 was for paid family leave (not sick time).  Paid Family Leave (PFL) income is money you receive from your employer, an insurer, or the government while you are away from work for an extended period of time so you can recover from a serious health issue, take care of a seriously ill family member or bond with your newborn or newly adopted child.

In the United States, employers who offer PFL are the exception rather than the rule. PFL is usually only available through larger employers if it is offered at all. A small but growing number of states have enacted PFL legislation. They include California, the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Washington. The National Partnership for Women Families keeps a list of state PFL laws. 

Paid Family Leave is different than paid time off like sick pay. For example, a new mother working at a company that does not offer PFL might still take maternity leave based on accrued sick days. This pay falls under paid time off, and it is taxed differently than pay from PFL.

We've got instructions on entering your PFL income in TurboTax.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jpdubin
Returning Member

Thanks you, @DawnC!

One follow up question. Since our child came at the end of November, 5 of the 6 weeks of EDD and employer-supplemented pay was in 2019, and the rest of the PFL income from my employer was in 2020. Am I right to check that box for both 2019 and 2020 taxes?

Thanks again!

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jpdubin
Returning Member

Thanks @KatrinaB48!

I am a California resident. I had received PFL from my employer. As per our employer we will not receive any tax form for this as it is not-taxable. We have NOT received any additional 1099-G from EDD. Neither received any separate W2 from insurance company. Box 14 on my W2 reports some amount under code CAVPDI. I can see PFL amount on my last paycheck of 2020.  I also have amount reported on box 12a under code DD, not sure if it is related or not. However I cant determine if it is part of my W-2 or not. Should I still need to check this box? Checking this box adds huge amount in CA refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies