Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ahmedshahzadawan
Returning Member

direct deposit instead of mail check for tax due

I am planning to file by mail so can i do direct deposit of my tax due directly using IRS website and attach the proof in my return? I ran out of bank checks so i am thinking whether direct deposit is possible with file by mail process instead of mail check for paying my tax due?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

When printing and mailing a tax return the direct deposit option is also available.  The bank routing and account numbers are entered directly on your federal tax return, Form 1040, on Lines 20b and 20d.

I think you are talking about Direct Debit not Deposit.  Don't know if you can do that on a mailed return.  But you can pay directly at the IRS.  That will be quicker too.  Because if you owe too much there may be interest accruing.   Then you will know it got paid.

PAY IRS

https://www.irs.gov/payments

ahmedshahzadawan
Returning Member

doing direct bank debit on IRS should also be possible instead of entering in form?

ahmedshahzadawan
Returning Member

thats correct i meant direct debit from bank. If i do it from IRS website then do i need to attach copy of payment proof with my return or no need? 

If you use the IRS website for payment of the taxes owed on the federal tax return, you do not have to attach anything to the return for proof of payment.  

Your proof of payment will be the confirmation number received from the IRS using their payment website and your bank statement.

If you do use the IRS website to pay the taxes owed, then in TurboTax where asked how you want to pay the taxes use the pay by mail with the Payment Voucher option.  Then you can either e-file or print the return for mailing and do not mail a check with payment.

No proof needed to attach.  Be sure to pay using your ssn and select 2018 1040.

See this screen shot 

IRS Pay 2018.PNG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies