Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

James79

Deceased Father

My father passed away in February of 2018 and my mother now lives with me. She is 55 and dies not work, she began receiving $759.00 per month from Social Security Disability in November 2018 and that was her only income for the year. Can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes and file my father's return for home separately? If I can and he is entitled to a refund, will my mother be able to receive it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Deceased Father

Yes, it's possible to claim your mother if she wasn't married at the end of 2018, had no income other than Social Security, and received more than half of her support from you. There are no exemptions for dependents in 2018, but you could qualify for a non-refundable $500 Other Dependent Credit.

Your father, on the other hand, would be filing his final return as Married, Filing Separately.  He won't be able to file as Single. Depending on his situation, it might be more advantageous to file a joint return with your mother.

If his return results in a refund, your mother could be able to receive it if she files Form 1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer, if she would otherwise have inherited your father's estate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies