turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Custody of a Friend’s Son

I have full legal and physical custody of my friend’s son. He has lived with me for over two years. What do I select when claiming him on my taxes? He meets all the requirements for Qualifying Child except the biological/descendant/marriage relationship. Of course I consider him my child but for tax purposes what do I choose? Does custody make him my child in the eyes of the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

He only would meet the qualification of a "Qualifying Child" dependent  if he is a foster child.   A foster child is an individual who is placed with you by an authorized placement agency or by judgment, decree, or other order of any court of competent jurisdiction.  You will need your proof of such placement to claim.

If not placed by such agency or court then you could only claim as an "other dependent" that meets the rules for a non-related dependent.

(The most you can get for a "Qualifying Relative"  dependent is a $500 credit.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

He is your dependent as a qualifying relative if he lived with you all year, you provided more than half of his support and he earned less than $4200.  Note that the tax term “qualifying relative” doesn’t mean he has to be a relative. 

He only would meet the qualification of a "Qualifying Child" dependent  if he is a foster child.   A foster child is an individual who is placed with you by an authorized placement agency or by judgment, decree, or other order of any court of competent jurisdiction.  You will need your proof of such placement to claim.

If not placed by such agency or court then you could only claim as an "other dependent" that meets the rules for a non-related dependent.

(The most you can get for a "Qualifying Relative"  dependent is a $500 credit.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you. I have a court order.

Then in the personal information section for dependents, select "My Child" (which includes foster child) and answer the remaining questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies