turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tom1818
Returning Member

Convert duplex from 100% owner to 50/50 owner/tenant. Last rented in 2018.

I moved into the lower unit (50%) of my duplex in 2018.  I had renters there part of the year.  I filed my 2018 taxes as usual, splitting supplies, taxes, expenses, etc., and claiming depreciation. 

I did not claim any rental income in 2019 so there was no schedule E or depreciation report. 

Then I re-rented the upstairs unit (I live downstairs) starting 1/1/2020.  I know how to do the expenses, but not sure about depreciation.  As indicated, I moved back into the building and occupied 50% of it after renting both units for the 12 previous years.  I am thinking of transferring and hand entering the data as it stood at year end 2018, but I'm not sure.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

This becomes challenging when the use keeps changing (personal use vs rental use or both). 

In the asset section, my advice is to put the duplex on your return with original dates, then change the prior depreciation amount to include all prior depreciation deducted on your returns.

When you start the rental section change the use percentage to 50% for the current year, first by selecting 'I rent out a unit in a multi-unit property where I live'

In this situation I advise you enter the rest of your expenses and do not choose to let TurboTax split them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tom1818
Returning Member

Thank you!  This confirms what I thought I understood by reading some posts similar to mine. 

If anyone wants to add any pointers to this string please do!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies