turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming Adult Dependent When I'm on Social Security?

I've looked high and low for an answer to this question, and have come up short. I hope I'm in the right place to ask this. I'm new to requesting information in a public forum so please bear with me. 

My wife and I are both on Social Security and aren't required to file taxes. 

With the 2021 stimulus, adult dependents are eligible and we have a daughter living with us that fits the criteria. She has no income whatsoever.

We have already received 1400 each, for my wife and me.  She is not eligible for the recovery credit due to her being an adult dependent. The only information I have found for getting the stimulus for her is to file taxes. Which I was going to do, but I realized I cannot efile with 0 income. 

Do I have to resort to mailing in the  tax form? Or is there a way to efile with 0 income in this situation?  Is there  guidance for this situation? 

Any other information would be greatly appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Reporting the $50 you earned to drive someone somewhere is definitely reportable income that will allow you to e-file your return.   Generally, non-wage money earned from driving is considered self-employment which requires additional forms, reporting, and taxes.   However, if you had no profit motive, and this type of income was a one-time only event, you can report the $50 as hobby income.   But you can't use the Free Edition to report miscellaneous income; you can switch to the IRS Free File TurboTax program.

How do I switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Adding $1 of income will allow you to e-file. There are pros and cons to doing this.

Check out the discussion at I was told I should file a tax return claiming $1 income and $1 agi for 2019 so that I am in the IRS...

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You can complete a zero income return with TurboTax and include your adult dependent daughter to establish eligibility for a third round stimulus payment for her. Once the return is processed you will become eligible for a "plus up" payment for your dependent daughter.

Go ahead and enter you and your spouses Social Security income from your form 1099-SSAs in the "Wages & Income" tab.

Scroll down to "Retirement and Social Security"

"Show More"

"Start/Revisit"  "Social Security (form 1099SSA)"

Complete the rest of the interviews and you can e-file this return.

@DMarkM1 I've done that and near the end it says it's ineligible because certain lines of Form 1040 have zero value.  

It looks like you have a tax situation in your federal return that makes it ineligible for e-filing, according to IRS rules: 

Line 9 - Total income
Line 11 - Adjusted gross income
Line 16 – Tax
Line 18 - Total Tax Before Credits And Other Taxes
Line 21 - Total credits

Line 33 - Total payments

Don't worry, even though you are unable to e-file your return, we'll still help you file your return by mail.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can print and mail the 2020 tax return you prepared, but you won't be able to e-file it without any income on it.  Since your social security is not taxable, it is still producing a $0 tax return which can't be e-filed.   Do you have any interest to report possibly?  Any kind of miscellaneous income you can think of to report?   You don't need to have received a tax document to report miscellaneous income.   Any prizes or gambling winnings?      

Worst case scenario, you claim the $1400 as Recovery Rebate on the 2021 return.   It will take months to process returns filed by mail and it may not get processed until it is time to file 2021 - I have 2019 tax returns filed by mail that have not be processed yet - and we are in the 4th month of 2021.   

If you are going to mail it (assuming you can't think of any of income to report), be sure to use the FREE version.  Don't get stuck paying for a federal or state return.  You can print out Form 1040, and fill it in yourself if you are just filing it to get your daughter listed as a dependent and do not have any other income to report.  

@DawnC No interest. No prize or gambling wins.  Would being paid a small sum to drive someone somewhere ($50.00) count as miscellaneous income? 

Or you can try adding $1 of interest to let you efile.  Make up a fake 1099Int.

Enter a 1099-Int  under

Federal

Wages & Income

Interest and Dividends

Interest on 1099INT - Click the Start or Update button

@I8cookies - all the advice you are getting is great..... most importantly, do NOT pay to file this return...use one of the FREE versions as  @DawnC suggested. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Reporting the $50 you earned to drive someone somewhere is definitely reportable income that will allow you to e-file your return.   Generally, non-wage money earned from driving is considered self-employment which requires additional forms, reporting, and taxes.   However, if you had no profit motive, and this type of income was a one-time only event, you can report the $50 as hobby income.   But you can't use the Free Edition to report miscellaneous income; you can switch to the IRS Free File TurboTax program.

How do I switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies