Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Childs First Return - File or Not File - Federal vs State

My child needs to file a state tax return to get a refund from her first job over withholding state tax.  Do I need to file a federal as well, even if nothing is owed?

My 16 year old child is working her first job - she makes well under the standard deduction, so her employer did not withhold any federal tax.    However, state tax was withheld.   When i run this though TurboTax, it properly generates a federal return with no taxes due and a small refund on the state return.  I'm assuming i should e-file both returns as Turbotax proposes.   Just wanted to make sure i should file both and not just the state return. Thanks for any help !

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

absolutely file the federal return as well as the state even though they are below the federal minimum to file.

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

Yes, even though your child did not meet the filing requirement, she should file both the federal and state tax return together, particularly to receive her state tax refund.

TurboTax does not have a standalone state tax preparation product. The TurboTax State program is designed to transfer information from your federal return.

@Dave 2021

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies