Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child tax credit & stimulus

I have two children who qualify as dependents. One was born in 2020 so he qualifies for the stimulus, but I have to file taxes in order to get it. I earned $0 income last year, when I tried to file it said I would get $0. Why would I not get the child tax credit for them? And if I filed knowing I would get $0 would I still get the stimulus? I don’t understand. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For the child tax credit of $2,000 per child.

The child must have been no older than 16 at the end of 2020.

The amount of child tax credit you can receive is limited by your taxable income (1040 line 15)
If your taxable income is zero, then you are not eligible for any child tax credit.

However, if you do not qualify for the Child Tax Credit, and if your earned income is greater than $2,500, you might be eligible for the Additional Child Tax credit. That amount is 15% of earned income greater then $2,500 up to a maximum of $1,400.

Too high of an income will reduce or eliminate the CTC also.
Married Filing Joint - $400,000
Single, Head of Household, or Married Filing Separate-- $200,000

The child tax credit will be reported on lone 19 on the 1040 form. Additional Child tax credit on line 28 on the 1040 form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The child tax credit is based on having income from working.   If you did not work you are not eligible for the child tax credit.   You are able to get the stimulus amounts for your child who was born in 2020 by using the recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return if you can  claim your children as dependents.  However-----how were you and your children supported if you had no income?   Is there someone else who can claim you and the children as dependents?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies