turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gain for a beneficiary

My wife is one of six beneficiaries of my mother-in-law’s trust, of which I am the trustee. The primary asset of the trust was mom’s home. Following the step up in valuation the proceeds, net of broker fees, is a small loss. The house was sold within a year of mom’s passing. Although the home was held for many years is this short-term capital loss or a long-term capital loss? In addition, since all beneficiaries shared equally, I assume each report’s one sixth of the loss. Where on the tax return is this transaction reported? Many Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Correct.

To prepare an estate  return you would need Turbotax Business.  This is a separate program from Turbotax Home and Business.  TT Business is a program only available for desktop windows use (there is no on-line or Mac version.) 

http://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Although the home was held for many years is this short-term capital loss or a long-term capital loss?  LONG

In addition, since all beneficiaries shared equally, I assume each report’s one sixth of the loss.  CORRECT

Where on the tax return is this transaction reported? FROM THE ESTATE'S TAX RETURN FORM 1041  EACH BENE WILL GET A K-1 FORM TO ENTER ON THEIR PERSONAL RETURN.  

Thank you for that helpful response. So, it appears that I need to do the trust’s return form 1041 before the individual beneficiary’s can proceed with their own returns?

Correct.

To prepare an estate  return you would need Turbotax Business.  This is a separate program from Turbotax Home and Business.  TT Business is a program only available for desktop windows use (there is no on-line or Mac version.) 

http://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies