turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

markh

Cannot file state returns, "our records indicate you are not entitled to efile one or more formsets . " ???

how to correct and file?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
stever519

Cannot file state returns, "our records indicate you are not entitled to efile one or more formsets . " ???

It means that some of the forms may not be eligible to be filed.

It most likely has to do with the state forms.  Try e-filing your federal return only.

When you come to the "Let's get ready to e-file" screen, select "File by mail" and click the "I'm not ready to file" button below the state and save.

Unfortunately, you may have to mail your State taxes instead of e-filing.

Thanks, but how can I file only my Federal taxes via the software.  It seems like it automatically wants to file both state and federal at the same time.

Thank you, please disregard my previous message.  I figured it out.

Hdwallace

How did you fix it?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If the forms you need are not available yet, you have to wait for them to be finalized.   See these charts to see when your forms will be finalized.  Keep in mind that the IRS does not start accepting tax returns until Feb. 12.   TurboTax Online saves your work as you go.   You can just log out and come back later to finish and all of your info will be saved.  

If you want to file your federal return now but not your state, keep reading.   You can do that, but your e-filed federal return will need to be accepted before you can e-file your state (or, you can just paper-file your state return later).

Here are two ways to skip your state in TurboTax Online:

1. Delete your state return, file your federal return now, and then come back later re-do your state return
  2. Pay for both your federal and state returns now and when you get to the Here are your filing options screen, select Change next to your state return. On the the Change filing method screen, select I'm not ready to file and Save.

Method 1 doesn't require up-front payment for your state, but you'll have to re-enter your state information later. Method 2 saves the work you did on your state return, but requires up-front payment.   @Hdwallace

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Delete the state and re-add it:

Go to "State" on the left hand menu, look for the option to delete after you click continue.

You will now be able to file.

Sometimes this will reveal errors in the Federal section that were not showing due to the "Form Set" error blocking them from popping up during the review - this may happen after you delete the state.

If you see those errors (usually duplicate W-2s) fix these and finish filing.

You may be prompted to pay for state, this is because state could not be filed before you deleted it and re-added. (This applies to Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business.)

You would have been able to e-file federal and would have had to paper file state in most cases.

One caveat - this will not work if you have already registered or paid for your state product, but most of the time it will not allow you to pay for state with this issue.

Hello, 

I am trying to file the tax returns (efile) for California and still see the same message. Any idea how to figure out what is the problem in my filing?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Two options exist:

1. The forms are not ready

2. Your program has something stuck

For option 1: As the state updates forms, they are incorporated into the system. Please check State Forms Availability for your method of tax preparation.

For option 2:  Stuck information

1. Delete some state forms or just delete the entire state:
    1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
    2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools
    3. then select  Tools.
    4. In the pop-up window named Tool Center,
    5. choose Delete a form.
    6. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.
    7. Log out of your return
    8. Try one or more of the following:
    9. Log back into your return.
    10. Enter the form or state again.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
apalma82

This is the only post that helped me file my taxes after researching for 2 months! Thank you. I was not actually clicking on File by mail to change the status. I was just unchecking on the state on the last step. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies