turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot file E Returns

While filing my E returns, I get the below error.

"The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending. To ensure you have the latest version of TurboTax, wait 24 hours to update your program automatically. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file your return by mail. - 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits."

Can someone advise how to resolve the error and file the return? Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Cannot file E Returns

There seems to be an issue with e-filing when there is not a US phone number listed in your Intuit Online account.   When you are signed into your account, click on Intuit Account in the bottom left corner.    The error is not from the phone number on your tax return but rather the phone number attached to your Intuit (TurboTax) account.  

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of Turbo Tax.   No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when you are done. Then go back to your return and continue filing.   Don't use a Google Voice number, a Skype number, or any other non-US or non-verifiable phone number.  Again, you don't have to verify the number but the number needs to be verifiable.  

You may be able to leave the phone number field blank on your Intuit account and e-file your return.  No matter which option you use, make sure to update your account with your correct phone number once your return is e-filed.  

@yesmurray 

@hmrl

@cdb5093

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Cannot file E Returns

I get the exact same message. Please let me know if you figured it out. I'll continue to check everyday for the next week. Thank you.

Cannot file E Returns

Thanks. I am still getting the error.

I am currently in London and have updated the local UK contact number. Wondering if you are filing from outside US or have updated a non-US cell number. 

Regards,

Sumit 

hmrl

Cannot file E Returns

Also receiving this message and filing from outside the US. Reluctant to paper file, but am checking everyday as well

Cannot file E Returns

Thanks. So I am guessing that's the problem.

I could not find a customer support option on the Turbo Tax website who can potentially resolve the issue. We need them to remove the bug and let people outside the US efile.

Are you aware of any tech support option that we can raise this to?

Regards,

Sumit 

Cannot file E Returns

Getting same error message and have tried all possible troubleshooting remedies. I called customer support and initiated an investigation on the issue... hoping for a response from their IT folks in 48 hours. If they provide a solution, I'll let you know.

Cannot file E Returns

Thank you for the reply. I am a member of the armed forces stationed in Europe, so I have to file from Europe. The last 2 years I filed electronically with no problem. Hopefully, they will fix this quickly, specially, because I already paid for the service.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Cannot file E Returns

There seems to be an issue with e-filing when there is not a US phone number listed in your Intuit Online account.   When you are signed into your account, click on Intuit Account in the bottom left corner.    The error is not from the phone number on your tax return but rather the phone number attached to your Intuit (TurboTax) account.  

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of Turbo Tax.   No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when you are done. Then go back to your return and continue filing.   Don't use a Google Voice number, a Skype number, or any other non-US or non-verifiable phone number.  Again, you don't have to verify the number but the number needs to be verifiable.  

You may be able to leave the phone number field blank on your Intuit account and e-file your return.  No matter which option you use, make sure to update your account with your correct phone number once your return is e-filed.  

@yesmurray 

@hmrl

@cdb5093

Cannot file E Returns

This is great! I followed the instructions and was able to e-file. Thank you so much @DawnC for the support, and thank you, @cdb5093 , for contacting tech support for us.

Cannot file E Returns

Perfect. This solved my issue too. Thanks!

Cannot file E Returns

worked for me! thanks!

Cannot file E Returns

same  here, I was able to file my returns. Many Thanks 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Cannot file E Returns

Excellent.  Make sure you update your phone number to your correct phone number once your tax return is accepted.  

hmbphd

Cannot file E Returns

This solution - of changing the phone number to a US number in my profile - worked for me with this error. I didn't have to verify that number. Just changed it and was asked for a password for the change. Attempted to file again and voila! Thanks for the work-around!

jesesp08

Cannot file E Returns

I have tried not inputting any number, but it still won't allow me to e-file. I have done all the troubleshooting and changed the phone number to a U.S. number and it still doesn't work. I don't know what the problem is. I am residing outside the U.S. now, and I would like to be able to file my taxes, thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies