turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

Above post was for hscreen1.

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

For magyarmedve.

I am very reluctant to upgrade my Win 7 pc only because upgrading usually results in a host of "surprise" issues/problems.  My pc currently works perfectly and does everything I need it to do.

However, if you check one of my prior posts, you will see that I have a backup plan.  I purchased a very inexpensive Win 10 Lenovo laptop at Walmart when it was on sale.  The deal was too good to pass up. It came with a 128 GB SSD drive.  I then purchased a 256GB SSD hard drive and added it as a second hard drive so I would have plenty of space.  I haven't really used it for anything yet, but it appears to be working flawlessly.  I figured I would use it on occasion to get used to working in Win 10.  The problem with new software is figuring out how to adjust to it.  You get used to working in one system and develop some expertise, then they "improve" the OS and now you have no idea what you are doing.  I hate the learning curve where something you did before took seconds and now it takes 2 hours to figure out.

JosephSay

If not run on Windows 7 then I will not buy Turbo Tax

aappel4

I checked with HR Block. They’re no better than Turbo Tax

aappel4

For how long?

@aappel4 wrote:

I checked with HR Block. They’re no better than Turbo Tax

You can add TaxAct to the list to round it out; no support for Windows 7 whatsoever. 

As has been mentioned previously, those who insist on running Windows 7 into perpetuity will have virtually no options with respect to income tax preparation other than using an online version - installed (desktop) versions will simply not install and/or run on that OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

in preparation with TT's announcement that win 10 was needed for 2019 returns. , I created a dual boot system.  one ssd with win 7 and  one with win 10.   win 10 software was free.   before trying to install TT 2019 on win 7, i will use imaging software to create copy of the win 7 drive.  i will then try to install  TT.  if it fails and messes up the os, i have an image to restore drive to its original state.  will then try to install on the win 10 drive.   I will also create an image of the win 10 drive before installing TT on it.  who knows.  TT could be so junky that it might not even install - my system surpasses minimum system requirements.   

using tt for 2019 return on win 7 is a one year fix. because TT has said software for 2020 returns  will not install on win 7.

good luck to all desktop users 

by the way I used win 95 until windows xp was out for 2 years    lost much software even with disk and no licensing requirements. would not run or install even in compatibility mode.   issues seem to the software would not run on higher versions of direct x (no backward compatibility) 

next was from xp to win 7 more software lost - same issues

tm52

So, is the TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7 or not?  Intuit say "yes" in the ads and in Tech Support texts we have seen.   Is it true?  Should we trust them?

The vulnerability of Windows 7 is currently way overblown.  Symantec/Norton still runs on Windows 7 and still runs on our kids Windows XP systems.  Why should we throw away perfectly good hardware that runs just fine because Microsoft and Intuit say so?  The kids PCs won't run Windows 7 so they will stay with XP until the hardware fails.  We will run Windows 7 on our other PCs until the hardware fails.  Intuit and TurboTax need to understand, we are the customer.  Take it or leave it.

Thank you.

@tm52  wrote:

So, is the TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7 or not?  Intuit say "yes" in the ads and in Tech Support texts we have seen.   Is it true?  Should we trust them?

The vulnerability of Windows 7 is currently way overblown.  Symantec/Norton still runs on Windows 7 and still runs on our kids Windows XP systems.  Why should we throw away perfectly good hardware that runs just fine because Microsoft and Intuit say so?  The kids PCs won't run Windows 7 so they will stay with XP until the hardware fails.  We will run Windows 7 on our other PCs until the hardware fails.  Intuit and TurboTax need to understand, we are the customer.  Take it or leave it.

Yes, TurboTax 2019 will install and run on Windows 7.   I've tried it on my own Windows 7 computer, even though I will ultimately be using it on Windows 10.    Each time you launch the program, it may remind you on the landing screen that you are using Windows 7, which you can easily click and bypass.   TurboTax recommends an upgrade to Windows 10, not because it won't run on Windows 7, but to protect you in general since Microsoft won't provide security updates to Windows 7 OS after January 2020.

Next year, however, TurboTax supposedly will not install at all on Windows 7.   But the new current product for 2019 will.

Be aware there is a new licensing method this year.  At the end of installation you will need to enter a license code to activate the product.  The code is provided in your CD box or with your download info if a download is purchased online.   The license code is good for up to 5 computers.

Also, all people who purchase CDs also qualify to get a complimentary download if they prefer (or don't have a CD drive) at the TurboTax website.

If you purchase the 2019 software and don't like it, you have a 60-day unconditional moneyback guarantee and can use the online refund request form.

I just now downloaded the TT 2019...  tried to install it on my windows 7 machine and all it does is come up with the splash screen warning you of windows 7...  when you click install on windows 7 the screen goes away and it does nothing after that... as in it does not install at all....   I also downloaded it to my windows 10 machine that is my photo/video workstation where TT does not belong...  I'll be doing my 2019 Tax this year on the windows 10 machine and then un installing it....  then I'll just have to do my taxes the old fashion way...  print out the forms and manually do the taxes...  this will be my last year with TT...  if I had known it wasn't going to install on my windows 7 machine I never would have bought it...   good bye TT...  

@kites52001 wrote:

I just now downloaded the TT 2019...  tried to install it on my windows 7 machine and all it does is come up with the splash screen warning you of windows 7...  when you click install on windows 7 the screen goes away and it does nothing after that... as in it does not install at all.... 

I don't know why it's not installing on your machine.  It installed OK on my Windows 7 machine after clicking on the warning screen to go ahead and install it on Windows 7, and for me the program runs fine on Win 7.    Were you installing with administrator privilege?

I realize it doesn't help you to know that mine works.   Here's how you can speak to TurboTax Support so they can question you further and troubleshoot your installation issue:

You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

"if I had known it wasn't going to install on my windows 7 machine I never would have bought it"

If Support cannot solve the issue, and if you do not want to use it on the other computer, TurboTax does offer a 60-day moneyback guarantee.

@kites52001 

Oops!  The support link was missing from my response above.  But I have inserted it there now.   Here it is again.  Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Ediepie
Returning Member

Win 10 is a resource hog and by ceasing support MS will drive users of Win 7 on older platforms toward purchasing new hardware in order to run Win 10.  My 5-year old laptop won't run Win 10.  My choices are to remain with a locked-down Win 7 and if Intuit fails to directly address whether TT for 2019 will run under the Win 7 OS by early January, I'll set up a dual boot of a Linux variant and run TaxAct to file my 2019 taxes.  Intuit - please answer the mail!

@Ediepie wrote:

....if Intuit fails to directly address whether TT for 2019 will run under the Win 7 OS by early January, I'll set up a dual boot of a Linux variant and run TaxAct to file my 2019 taxes.  Intuit - please answer the mail!

I would check the system requirements carefully since it does not appear as if any desktop version of TaxAct officially supports Windows 7.

Ultimately, you will be similarly situated with respect to all consumer-level, desktop versions of tax preparation software.

I agree 100%.  My oldest TurboTax CD is for tax year 1998, and I've been a loyal customer ever since.  However, being forced to change my OS is not a good business plan.  Scores of programs are built to run on various OS upgrades, so why can't TurboTax?  I was not happy being forced by Intuit to go from XP to W7, and I'll be darned if they think they can forced me to upgrade again.  Time to check out the competition and/or even open-source solutions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies