Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

@ williasp and others following this thread:

Here's some news on this issue:

TurboTax just put out a new official FAQ on Windows 7 and the upcoming 2019 TurboTax today (October 4).  It looks like 2019 TurboTax (coming mid to late November) will still install and run on Windows 7, but you'll get a warning about the OS security, etc., and recommending that you upgrade for that reason.  And in tax years to follow, it won't install at all.   See the full details in the FAQ linked below:

FAQ:  Windows 7 end of support impact for TurboTax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/windows-7-end-of-support-impact-for-turbotax/01/85...

Thanks for the update mesquitebean.

I see that Turbo Tax have said that 2019 WILL be installable and useable on Windows 7 - it appears they just won't provide support.  OK ..... but they definitely will NOT be offering this ability to run on Windows 7  for 2020.  They suggest going 'on line'....  I don't want to prepare and file on line..I print my returns as I need to provide a rather detailed data and breakdowns with the returns I prepare for myself/family members.   Why Microsoft discontinued Windows 7 is a total mystery to all of us who love this user-friendly system.  I will certainly never go to Windows 10 which is a total disaster  (or even 8). Mine is a working computer for home/office use - not game playing and surfing the ##*#($ web..and Windows 7 happily operates familiar and friendly  old software like MS Money, MS Works etc. and etc.  Intuit will be losing me as a customer after 2019 if they continue with this pigheadedness.  They seem totally blinkered to those of us who have been loyal for many (many years.  Oh well we can all hope some enterprising soul will step up to the plate ---perhaps with an even better set  of  tax software!? 

Well like it or not progress will not be stopped ... you may still own an antique Model T and it may run but getting service or parts for it is nearly impossible.  Same for computer systems but the evolution for these machines are counted in months not decades. 

An operating system has a limited life cycle and we have to accept this ... I personally still miss my XP.   Again be happy you are using a WINDOWS product ... the poor MAC people need to upgrade every 2 - 3 years and their computers are 4 times as expensive.  

You may think you can keep using the same OS but all your programs you run have updates that may not be compatible in the future and the viruses that can sneak into an unprotected system  could wipe the hard drive or worse.  If you are not going to unplug from the internet then good luck.  

Critter:  Your tone seems a bit harsh.  We're not talking one cooky old goat still driving a model T.  We're talking about millions of normal people happy with driving their 2010 Camry that still runs just fine for the purposes it's used for.

One has to question the business sense of someone deciding it will no longer service those millions of Camrys.

I am not trying to be harsh ... just a realist.  You keep swinging at windmills but you are not going to win.  Intuit cannot and will not continue to support an OS that is out of date.  What you have to do it get WIN 7 reinstated by Microsoft ... that is where the real issue lies. 

You missed my analogy ... you are correct ... a 2010 model car is not old at all however a 2010 computer it is considered ancient like a model T. Sadly no one likes to be forced to upgrade but in our current world where technology changes in leaps and bounds weekly you cannot expect the manufacturers to continue to support all systems it produces. At some point they are discontinued like XP & vista & DOS.

I have two computers that I keep my tax information, programs and returns on. Onw is a Windows 7 machine and it is important to me that this OS is supported by Turbo Tax 2019! I would hate to have to change software providers over this single issue, but I am willing to.

@ KL15P 

TurboTax should still work on Windows 7 for upcoming 2019 returns, but apparently will not install at all a year from now for 2020 returns.   One needs to be aware that after January,  Windows 7 will not be receiving security updates from Microsoft.  I wouldn't think other tax software companies would continue making their product for expired Windows versions after the tax year 2019 product, either, but who knows.

I presume you scrolled this thread and read the FAQ mentioned above, but if not, here it is again:

TurboTax 2019 and Windows 7:

@KL15P wrote:

I would hate to have to change software providers over this single issue, but I am willing to.

To which provider?

Other than TurboTax, TaxAct and H&R Block are the only two other, consumer-level, desktop tax preparation software providers of which I am aware. Do you suppose either one of those companies will make their installed tax preparation software compatible with Windows 7 for the 2020 tax year? I would be absolutely shocked if that were the case.

At least anyone who uses TurboTax and will not switch out of Windows 7 has close to a year and a half to figure out an alternative. Unfortunately, installed tax prep software is just not going to be an option as the other providers will abandon Windows 7 by, or before, that time.

Hopefully you don't ONLY keep the tax info on ONE computer ... you should save BOTH a PDF and .taxfile for every tax year to a removable storage medium like a thumb drive so you always have access to the info incase the old computer implodes.  

Save a Backup Copy of Your Tax File

To save a backup copy of your tax data file (.tax file) that can be opened and read by TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll need to choose your TurboTax product:

Similar-sounding—but very different—is saving a copy of your tax return as a PDF file, which is like a picture or "snapshot" of your tax return that you can view or print.

PDF files cannot be opened or read by TurboTax software, which means they cannot be used for amending or troubleshooting calculation issues.

Related Information:

Why should I save a PDF copy of my return?

Saving a copy of your return as a PDF (in addition to the proprietary tax data format TurboTax uses) lets you open, view, and print your return using the free Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader software.

This is a lifesaver if your tax data file gets corrupted or if you no longer have the TurboTax software to open it in. The government also accepts a paper-filed return printed from the PDF.

Please note that TurboTax PDF files cannot be "read" by the TurboTax software the way the tax data file can, which means they cannot be used for amending, troubleshooting calculation issues, or for full prior-year transfer capabilities.

For specific instructions, refer to the Related Information section, below.

Related Information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900937-why-should-i-save-a-pdf-copy-of-my-return

How can I protect the tax files on my computer?

Protect the sensitive information in your tax data files and tax-related PDF files with the following (the more, the merrier):

• If you're on Windows XP, upgrade to Vista or higher, as Microsoft has stopped patching XP
  • Download and install the latest updates for Windows or Mac
  • Keep your firewall on at all times
  • Install and run virus- and spyware-protection software (and make sure to keep it updated)
  • Store your files in a folder where they cannot be shared
  • Password-protect your tax file
  • Use PDF encryption software to protect PDF copies of your return
  • Never email your tax or PDF files

Another option is to move your tax and tax-related PDF files off your computer and onto a storage device which you can then store in a secure location.

Related Information:

i did find a solution.  i bought and installed a second SSD (120GB less than $25) and converted to dual boot mode.  however, when i buy the '19 software, I will first try to install on win 7.  if it works, win 10 goes away and i use the drive for  backup and storage.   

i was actually able to download and install win 10  for $0   from Microsoft.   its been over a month now and I have not gotten any messages when running 10 that I need to pay.     

the key part to installation was when it came to entering product key, i just clicked continue.  

@HACKITOFF wrote:

...if it works, win 10 goes away... 

Might as well keep it; you are going to need it sooner or later.

I am a senior (89) and I have used TT for over 10 tears and I do not want to change my platform from windows 7 to anything else.

I do not mind that Microsoft will not support Win 7next year.

Will I still be able to use TT 2019 with win 7? Please, please, please

George (Jerzy Nowotny)