turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

Critter: I've got a 2011 iMac. Running Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion. I run TT on the Mac OS but I could run it on Windows 7 on VMWare just as easily. On 1/1/2020 I will install Windows 10 on the VMWare application. No new machine required in either case.

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

aircarl:

Thanks for the tip.  I did a little quick research and think I get how to set it up.  Now a basic question.  If I have a dual boot set up on my pc - one Win 7 and one Win 10 - if I boot up with Win 10, will I still see my other programs and will they run on Win 10?  For example, I have Firefox on Win 7 which stores my bookmarks and some login info for various websites.  If I boot in Win 10, will I see Firefox and will it retain all my bookmarks and login info?  Same question for Outlook?  Will all my saved email addresses carry into the Win 10 version?  I'm curious to understand what I'm getting into.  I assume some old programs will not work in Win 10 - that's the downside of any upgrade.

If you want to get fancy, you can run Windows 10 in a virtual machine under Windows 7 (I have done this).    But this all depends on what Intuit means by  "not supported"; if it means "we are going check for win 7 to make it not run at all" that's pretty extreme;  but if its "we won't even try to support you if you are running on windows 7", then is likely not to actually block people from using it.  Considering that Intuit has not fixed some basic usability problems in the 10 years I've been using it, I doubt they are going to make any significant code changes in the normal course of development to make it NOT work on Win 7.   As of today, I see that independent stats show windows 7 hold 31% of the windows install base (win10 58%, Win 8.1 only 6%).  Seems like a bad business decision to cut off sales to that segment of the market. Plus, Microsoft does patch OSs after the support ends, if the issue is severe; Win XP was patched in May 2019.

Anonymous
Not applicable

online would be fine for those with one return but how about for a family of 6 - husband wife and 4 adult children who have to file returns.  great for TT's bottom line not so great for family.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

so.     some are still running win 95 or win xp.     i tried the compatibility check with win 10 and have expensive custom  software that is not compatible.   if TT is willing to reimburse me with the cost (originally in the $ 000's) of replacing this software, I'd be more than happy to migrate to 10.      hope it works even if no support for those running win 7.  if not, dual boot or virtual machine.  of course    

tomandbjm

Microsoft is putting Windows 7, one of the most popular windows versions, to bed. Unfortunately, thousands of people prefer Windows 7 and now will be without support. TurboTax is also one of the most popular tax preparation products on the market and they will have tons of extremely unhappy people if they have to switch to Windows 10 in order to use TT. Hopefully, beginning with the 2019 tax year (in 2020), TurboTax will make some accommodations for all the people who prefer to keep their tried and true, big blue, Windows 7. Thank you for your support!

I buy TurboTax software from a membership store and get a big cost saving compared to the online version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

what TT has not made clear is will 2019 be installable on earlier versions of windows just don't ask for support or totally incompatible with earlier versions of windows.  maybe if H&R block software supports win7, I'll move over to it.  It's cheaper but I found more complicated to use.   

i have tried converting. using free software. my win 7 MBR disk to GPT (Win 10 only installs on GPT with an exception when installing on virtual machine) . unfortunately, the free stuff only converts data disks ( those containing no OS) from MBR to GPT.  there is software available for a fee that says it can convert OS disks from MBR to GPT but haven't  tried it.  I would then install 10 in dual boot mode.  the problem with dual boot  - not only do you have to install  10  but drivers for video cards, certain keyboards, mice and printers and other soft

ware.      

2nd option install virtual machine and then install 10 in virtual mode. it will work win 7 MBR disk  but with certain VM's you have the same issue with drivers.   Supposedly, MS VM is a type 1 VM which can access the drivers on the win 7 partition.

3rd I have spare disks and sata ports so I can install 10 as a separate OS.  there would still be need to install drivers and other software and the boot priority would have to be changed back and forth.

4th I work for a CPA firm which allows its people to prepare their returns for free - no e file.  and there is no import from brokerage firms or transfer of data from TT.    

aircarl:  That link is not much help.  I, and I suspect many others, do not wish to use the online version of TT.  I need to do several returns for family members and it's much easier to have the program running right here in front of me.  Also, it's better to have it installed on the pc so you can always go back and fiddle with things at your leisure, including doing "what if" scenarios.

Hackitoff:  I am hoping TT will install on my Win 7 pc as in the past and hopefully does not have any problems running.  It would be a real pain if you got 3/4 through your tax return and it decided to blow up or freeze permanently.

However, since posting this topic, I just purchased an inexpensive Win 10 laptop.  I figured I can use the laptop as a learning device, among other things, as well as a backup device should my pc call it quits.  I can transition some of my files to the laptop in the interim.  And if TT doesn't work on my pc, I can just use it on the laptop.

I hate trying to adjust to a new operating system where "everything is different."  It looks different, it works different, it's a pain in the butt.  It took me two days trying to get the new Win Mail to download my Apple emails and contacts.  (It was an Apple rep that gave me the key trick, since MSoft and Lenovo can't be bothered.)

@williasp wrote:

However, since posting this topic, I just purchased an inexpensive Win 10 laptop.

Best idea yet - Smart.

I agree - that is why I have used Windows 10 for 2 years.

PJO

I have been using Turbo Tax for years and I don't want to change but if it's not compatible with Windows y bye bye Turbo Tax

You can switch to the online version.  We can tell you how to transfer from 2018 on your computer to the online version next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies