turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

127 Replies

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

You are off to a good start. Perhaps others will chime in on this thread.

However, I would be willing to bet that, regardless of whether the software is officially supported, it will install and run just fine on Windows 7 (which is essentially what happened with Windows XP).

Microsoft will implement Windows 7 "end of life" in January 2020, meaning it will discontinue all support, including paid support; and all updates, including security updates.

You can always use TT online.

Anonymous
Not applicable

we all know the end of life story. but consider how many people would have to replace or upgrade there win 7 computers. in some cases they will be able to upgrade to W10, others won't, which means buying a new computer and probably a lot of other software if such is even available any more. I have a lot of custom designed and off the shelf software which won't run on 10 and the cost to replace it is substantial. Some can not be replaced and I need them for my businesses. I will not spend money just to be able to prepare returns using TT pc version. Intuit can do as it wants, but then I'll be looking at H&R Block or other tax software so see if it will run on 7. I use the pc version and from what I saw win 7 will still work if you use the online versions. the reason I use the pc version is i have many family members for which I prepare their returns - cheaper that paying to establish an online account for each - none of which can use the free version. Intuit should consider how many customers it could loose if it carries through with its plan not to support PC version of TT using win 7.

SJ:  I have no interest in using TT online.  My return is too complex plus I do returns for several family members.

Hackitoff:  Exactly.  After 20 years with TT I hate to switch to another tax program, but TT is forcing my hand.  Win7 is working beautifully for me and I don't want the hassle of changing OS.  That always incurs unexpected problems and it takes days to get everything the way you want it.  And, of course, there's always the issue of certain programs you use all the time suddenly not working on the new OS.  And TT online is simply not a viable option.  My return is too complex, plus I do returns for several family members.

the good news is you don't have a MAC ... they have to upgrade every two years or so and many of the CPUs cannot be upgraded more than once or twice so a new unit needs to be bought ... at least with Windows they allow you to keep an OS for 10+ years.

I doubt that TT will keep Win 7 access for much longer ... even my professional program will required Win 10 for next tax season ... this means I need to upgrade 7 computers by the end of the year.

Your real problem is Microsoft, in that Microsoft brought out Windows 10 but did not make it 100% backward-compatible with Windows 7.

It is very expensive to maintain software on multiple hardware and software platforms - that is why most software companies (not just Intuit) will cease support of their software when Microsoft stops support of the underlying operating system. I say this as someone with 30+ years experience in software development and support.

As noted above, your 2019 TurboTax software may still work fine on Win 10, if it doesn't use any operating systems calls that are unique to Win 10. It is definitely worth trying before you go off and invest time and energy in a new tax product.

Charlie75

When I received the notification that Windows 7 will not be supported by TT I upgraded to Windows 10 and it has, and is, a train wreck.  It keeps trying to update Windows 10 that was installed and freezes my computer.

dmertz
Level 15

For security reasons, there is zero chance that 2019 TurboTax will be supported under Windows 7 because extended support for Windows 7 ends before the filing deadline for 2019 tax returns.

Although a bit cumbersome, there are ways to run TurboTax in a Windows 10 virtual machine running on a Windows 7 host system.

I have the same COMPLAINT -- I too have been using Turbo Tax for years --- Please respond

@williasp    @mrben 

This "Community" is mostly just a bunch of users ( as am I )...and actual TTX staff do not visit here regularly in the off-season, other than to correct some flagged items ( where people have put in personal information for hackers to steal and use).

To send feedback directly to TTX, just start up your TTX 2018 desktop software...go up to the "Help" menu item and there is a feedback selection in that dropdown, to send your comments/requests directly to TTX.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

If you still use Windows 7 you need to be concerned with security issues after January 12, 2020.  While you can always use 3rd party programs (other than those than come with Windows 7), Microsoft will STOP providing security updates for Windows 7 after that date.  Support for Windows 7 will end on Jan. 14, 2020.  After that date Microsoft will no longer issue security updates to patch discovered vulnerabilities in the OS.  At that point your exposure to hackers will increase.  I strongly recommend that you upgrade to Windows 10.

Are you aware that you can set up a dual boot on a computer - it is easy to set up and you can find directions on the internet?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies