turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

@Newberry7 wrote:

I have been a TurboTax user since its inception.  No longer.  Here are the reasons:..........

2) They refuse to allow their program to run on Windows 7..........

Of the three major, consumer-level income tax preparation software companies that offer software designed to be installed on a PC, none support  installing their software on Windows 7.

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

Newberry7:

As to your point 3, TT makes it pretty simple to estimate your 2020 tax liability and "what-if" scenarios.  Simply open your 2019 return, go to Open Form, then type in "what if."  Open the what-if form.  It will have all the essential data from your 2019 return.  You can then check a box to copy col. 1 into col. 2, then check another box to apply 2020 tax data.  You can then manipulate the various data entries in col. 2 to see how it affects your 2020 tax liability.  Thus, you can input your SS income on the appropriate line and see how much is taxable.  Be sure to look at all the data entry numbers to be sure you change them as appropriate, particularly anything related to AMT.

As to going to Windows 10, I simply decided to buy a very inexpensive Win10 laptop which I use to do my tax return.  It also serves as a backup to my Win7 desktop, which I use daily.  Undoubtedly, I should migrate over to Win10, but I am extremely reluctant to do so.  Why fix what ain't broke?

Windows 7 is no longer safe - you need to upgrade to Windows 10 before you get hacked.  Note that is is possible to run Windows 7 Pro on a Virtual Machine hosted on Win 10 Pro machine. 

@Newberry7 The Social Security section is available.  Entered SS benefits amount and had the taxable portion calculated.  Form 1040 Lines 6a an 6b

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099

You can view your Form 1040 at any time. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

n9658W2

I have been using Turbo Tax for the last 10 years or so and had been very happy with it for the past 8 years. Last year it changed a little (supposedly for the better)and I was not a very Happy Camper, But I dealt with it. (Your new and improved changes) are not always for the benefit of us customers, But after Yelling and screaming at you guys, I finally had completed my taxes for the last two years. Now !!!!! Now take away my Windows 7 XP Professional. That is the last straw, I will be switching to another tax system for this year that supports "a DVD Disk" and "Windows 7 XP Professional.  Your going the way that every other American Company has ended up. Losing site of what's important in America. Don't get rid of the old because a it seems better and is not used by everyone as before.  Take Care, Be Safe;       [PII removed]

@n9658W2 wrote:

.....I will be switching to another tax system for this year that supports "a DVD Disk" and "Windows 7 XP Professional.....

They aren't any, at least none that are on the consumer-level spectrum.

AndyG61

I have been using TT for years also...I don't want Windows 10, and when I did there little thing to see what changes it would make to my system, it come out and said, the only change would be security, and it would bog down my computer. This is another example of a company getting too much into customers business. I have worked on pc's for years, and have my own security, it's none of their business, as long as I buy their product. This is it for me, I'm not slowing down, and bogging up my pc to suit them!! I will write out the forms by hand, if I have to!! TT you suck!!

@AndyG61 No company providing tax preparation software supports Windows 7.

You could use the TurboTax online editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

I don't work for TurboTax; I'm a fellow user.  This is a user community forum, so folks at TurboTax won't normally see comments here.

TurboTax has its hands full just making their product function properly on Windows 8 and Windows 10, and that's a continual process.  They likely don't want to spend money and human labor on coding for Windows 7, when Microsoft itself doesn't even support Win 7 anymore, and relatively few users are on Windows 7.

BTW, H&R Block software is also only for Windows 8.1-10.

Windows 7 is increasingly becoming a security risk. There are no further updates, which means that any new security breaches that have been discovered remain open, giving criminals access to their computers and doing whatever they want. Most computers that can handle Windows 7 run version 10 without any problems. This also applies to control software called drivers for external devices such as printers.

)ver the years there have been many improvements in operating systems, not only in the interface that normal users see, but also in the engine room. This is especially true for the security framework. Its users may not be interested in how the operating system handles internal processes, but it is often associated with protection against threats.

They are constantly changing. Once a hole is closed, the search for a new one begins. Because systems are gigantic structures with millions of lines, they inevitably have errors. So it will never take long for the next hole to be discovered and exploited – information about it will spread very quickly in related circles. Then anyone can be infected: by stealing sensitive data or by turning a computer into a remote control zombie that sends spam emails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bla bla bla. Win7 is the best. But if you don't like to be in FULL control of your own OS and PC, yeah, go ahead with the bloated win10.

you can always do your return online using win 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

And why would I use win7 for a lame, non-private online tax return? I could use a tablet or heck, even an abacus, to connect online, or an Arduino.

The idea with this TurboTax product, is to use a desktop, fully-offline and non-cloud based and private solution, not "clouds" from Bezos, Gates of Hell, google CIA and others 🙂

Some of the complaints are exactly what I am thinking.  I am done with ever using Turbo Tax again if I cannot use my Windows7 computer.  I would rather go to HR Block if I have to.

It may or may not work on Win7. HRBlock does not support on Win7.  Note that TaxCut phone support is dreadful, awful, wait on hold for 25 minutes to an hour, then the support person may or may not be able to help. Worse they will send you to a link for the software developer (not HRBlock) have not had any luck with support. Also program is not nearly as good as prior years. Problems with efile & IRS rejections plus simple errors in program. There are certainly better tax programs available in 2020. FYI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies