turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020.  Without the support and updates from Microsoft Windows 7 will lack the security to efile tax returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

This is the US forum thus all the answers here are for the US program.  

oskar

Like others I've been hoping that either the turbotax experts would tell us HOW to make Win7 work not just that it will work, or that community experts would find a straightforward procedure and let us know. As it happens I found a trivial solution that works on my computer, and hope it works for others. 

Go to the downloaded turbotax exe file, right-click, and choose Properties.

At the bottom of the properties box there's a statement that this file came from another computer and might be blocked to protect your computer. Beside it there's an Unblock button. Click it and everything works!

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020.  Without the support and updates from Microsoft Windows 7 will lack the security to efile tax returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

yes i am also leaving turbo tax for another tax software, yes i do know i can use it one more time but why if turbo is dropping support, absolutely absurd to force a windows upgrade JUST to use your software, are you freakin kidding me????? h&r block will import turbo files, on the phone right now to see if they are dropping support as well, if so, move to another competitor, total bs, bu bye

TurboTax for tax year 2019 and QuickBooks 2020 will install on Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later) PCs. However, they strongly recommend upgrading your operating system before installing these products.

As of January 14, 2020, Microsoft no longer provides security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7. This means that computers running on Windows 7 will be more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. To avoid these risks, Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 10.

This didn't work for me. I was able to get the setup.exe file from the first few steps, but running that isn't generating an .msi file in any temp directory that I can install. Nothing gets created in my temp directory when I run that. The installer creates a file called lite.log with an entry that makes it look like they've patched this workaround to prevent us from getting it installed on Windows 7: OS is windows 7 and checking if we [sic] user trying to install directly from TurboTax installer.exe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure it was the real system temp folder the one you were looking into? By default it's C:\Windows\Temp, but to be sure, or for those customizing it to be something else, fire up a cmd.exe and do:

echo %TEMP%

The .msi does definitely get extracted there. Sometime inside an additional subdir, with a random name.

Best bet: Run the official installer, and let it show that "win7 no longer a supported os" warning dialog. Without closing the dialog (so that the installer is still in memory, along with the extracted files including the .msi), do a full search on all of your local drives / partition, for "*msi" or "*intuit*.msi" or "*tax*.msi" (can't remember the exact name, but I may have mentioned it in my original reply?).

Or feel free to contact me at my userid followed by at geeemaaaail and the rest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

[or to your point, maybe they "patched" my suggested workaround, and they're either hiding the .msi harder, or they bootstrap the installer differently. Stupid Intuit Canada! Anyway, feel free to contact me and I can help you getting it working]

Thanks for such a quick reply. I was confused because I wasn't running a Canadian version, but I think I have it figured out. By default my Windows firewall blocks any unknown program from accessing the Internet, and I continued to let it block setup.exe from getting to the Internet because it shouldn't need Internet access for any reason. But once I allowed it to access the Internet, I was able to install on Windows 7 without any workarounds.

For the record, there was definitely no MSI created. I even ran it in a sandboxed environment that lets me see any files created, and so I'm 100% positive that my version didn't create an MSI anywhere. I guess that's most likely due to it not being the Canadian verison, though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, the "official" lack of Win 7 support for the TurboTax 2019 is applicable SOLELY to the Canadian version. The US version has been, and continue to be, more flexible (I've been using them both, so I know). The reason for the US version being more flexible may be that the Americans can talk with their wallets much easier - comparing to the Canadian folks who got so accustomed with the status-quo and the Feudal Lords.

Btw, another fundamental, this time technical, difference between the US and Canadian versions (this time with an advantage for the latter) is that the Canadian one is still C++/native based implementation (or at least until the 2018 version), which is slim and fast baby. Whereas for the last year or two, the US version started to use .NET - less ideal, more RAM and disk hungry - bloated implementation.

I'm glad that you've solved the issue you were having. And please remember, even a software firewall or other host intrusion prevention software, can easily prevent .exe, scripts and other files, from being created/extracted into system temp directories.  That can be a problem even if the app or its installation packaging is different in the US version.

All the best.

Where is this online refund form? I can't it anywhere on any of your websites.

@hklepac wrote:

Where is this online refund form? I can't it anywhere on any of your websites.

See if this is what you are looking for:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

Or you can contact TurboTax Customer Support using this form to get a phone number.

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8 PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8 PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Newberry7

I have been a TurboTax user since its inception.  No longer.  Here are the reasons:

1) It is almost impossible to log on

2) They refuse to allow their program to run on Windows 7

3) Even their online version does not yet include the most critical section for me, Social Security Income and the taxable portion which is impossible to figure out

4) Number 3 is critical to know before the end of 2020 and TurboTax has completely let me down

5) And finally, number 2 presents an expensive and almost impossible dilemma - buy new Windows machine to support all my devices (spend days figuring out Windows 10), or abandon Windows for a Mac (more days figuring it out).  In either case I have to retain my Window 7 computer because an extensive software library that cannot be ported.

And all of this is because TurboTax that I purchased refuses to install in Windows 7.  Unbelievable.

If you are still going online with Windows 7 you are at risk for ransomware which will disable your computer  and other forms of identity theft that, as with the US govt., may be unknown to you until it is too late.

Manage cookies