turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

TurboTax 2019 will run on a Windows 7 computer.  However, since Microsoft has stopped providing security updates, upgrading is recommended but not required to install TurboTax 2019.

This is a Microsoft thing, not a TurboTax thing. 

Solved: Will TurboTax 2019 still operate on Windows 7 ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

@Diogenator wrote:

...Time to check out the competition and/or even open-source solutions.

With all due respect, and to be perfectly blunt, why bother? After the 2019 tax year, you are not going to find any competitor that will provide a solution that does not involve upgrading your OS. 

The best place to complain is to Microsoft for ending Win 7 support.  The last thing Turbotax needs is media reports of their customers  being hacked and data stolen from their tax returns.  For this reason. TT simply cannot afford to continue to install their products on an unsupported operating system.  

The thing to do is go to Microsoft.  XP users got an extra year of support when that ended because so many users complained to them about ending XP support.  We have here the same situation.  MS has ended support for Win 7 so ALL software vendors have to stop supporting it.

lg20467

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

The Desktop Version of Turbo Tax for 2019 will install on computers running Windows 7. If you’re using TurboTax Online, there’s no impact to you as long as you meet the minimum system requirements.  For more information, click on the following link to see a TurboTax Help article on the subject:  Windows 7 end of support impact for TurboTax

logangrey

I am NOT buying or upgrading to windows 10 tried it hate it! I have used TT Home Business for past 5 yrs IF TT Disc will not work in 2020 and beyond 2019 will be the LAST year I use TT! Your choice TT

logangrey

AGREE!

logangrey

yes including overloading and crashing your computer! Not everyone has 2k to dump into a computer they use to pay bills and file taxes as its main purpose!

FYI ... you will not be able to use any downloaded tax programs after this year ... the other major tax programs do not support Win 7 now.  You can use the online version instead.  And I just bought a new CORE  i5 laptop for less than $600 so I don't know where you are shopping ... and if you have a desktop version you only need to buy the tower since you already have the peripherals. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all hogwash. There is simply nothing preventing TurboTax 2019 - both the US and Canada editions, from working on Windows 7.

It is an artificial limitation that Intuit seemed to have purposely introduced.

For the US 2019 version, at least they show you a warning dialog about Win7 becoming End-Of-Life BUT still allowing the user to proceed with the installation on win7.

For the Canadian 2019 version however, they took out that warning dialog, and the installer, by default, is blatantly preventing you from doing an install on a win7.

For how many times are the Canadians screwed over by Intuit!??

I have found a solution to install the TurboTax Canada 2019 edition on a win7. Can show you how it can be done. Just message me.

Thanks.

There are a number of apps that make Windows 10 screens look and feel like Windows 7.  They are easy to install - type in "make windows 10 look like windows 7".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "There are a number of apps that make Windows 10 screens look and feel like Windows 7.  They are easy to install - type in 'make windows 10 look like windows 7'.

This ^ along with the other posts "recommending" to buy a laptop with win10, are amongst the most idiotic recommendations. Why the heck would I want to (a) buy win10 / a crappy OS that not only is bloated but also SPIES on you, (b) buy a laptop just to have win10 or (c) Buy a win10 and customize it to look like win7.

The dumbest post I've seen. Wake up folks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

you don't need a win 10 computer if you use the online version of TT for your 2020 return.     otherwise unless TT changes it's mind you'll have to find another option.  

I use desktop because I have to prepare family returns. what i did was buy a 120GB SSD which i loaded win 10 on (free download from MS)  just to do tax return.   created dual boot.  fater finishing deleted dual boot and removed drive though technically could disable thru BIOS. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Folks, it's simple: this is how to make it install on win7:

1. Run the official installer and wait until it shows the "win7 not supported" error dialog.

2. Do NOT close the dialog.

3. Search in your system TEMP folder for the extracted TurboTax files. You should see a "TurboTax 2019 Installer.exe" file or something like that.

4. Make a copy of the folder containing that .exe and all the other files in that folder.

5. Now you can click ok to close the "win7 not supported" error dialog.

7. Go to the folder where you made sure to copy the extracted files.

8. Run the "TurboTax 2019 Installer.exe".

9. It will again show some error log like "cannot run installer unless via setup.exe " or something like that.

10. Search again in your system TEMP folder for something like "TurboTax 2019 install.msi" (or a similar file with .msi file extension).

11. Make a copy of the folder containing the msi file.

12. Click ok to close the stupid "cannot run installer unless xyz" dialog.

13. Open a command prompt in Admin mode.

14. cd to the folder where you made a copy of the msi file.

15. Type the following: msiexec /i path_to_that_msi_file /passive

And voila, it will install, and no more Intuit stupidity. Also no need for win10, dual boot, laptops to buy, and other dumb things...

You're welcome.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax 2019 CD/Download software will install and run on a Windows 7 computer.  However, we strongly recommend upgrading your operating system before installing due to the fact that Microsoft no longer provides security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7.

Reference:  Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Windows s ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "TurboTax 2019 CD/Download software will install and run on a Windows 7 computer"

This statement is only partially true:

- US version of TurboTax 2019: win7 is accepted (but with a warning dialog).

- Canadian version of TurboTax 2019: win7 is REJECTED completely.  Hence the sequence of steps I was recommended previously, which will allow the install to proceed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies