Solved: Re: Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible w... - Page 6

Can you please make TurboTax 2019 compatible with Windows 7. I don't want to change my OS just to run TT. Perhaps if enough folks complain, TT will change its ridiculous plan. I've been a user for 20 years and this really ticks me off.

Win 10 is a resource hog and by ceasing support MS will drive users of Win 7 on older platforms toward purchasing new hardware in order to run Win 10.  My 5-year old laptop won't run Win 10.  My choices are to remain with a locked-down Win 7 and if Intuit fails to directly address whether TT for 2019 will run under the Win 7 OS by early January, I'll set up a dual boot of a Linux variant and run TaxAct to file my 2019 taxes.  Intuit - please answer the mail!

@Ediepie wrote:

....if Intuit fails to directly address whether TT for 2019 will run under the Win 7 OS by early January, I'll set up a dual boot of a Linux variant and run TaxAct to file my 2019 taxes.  Intuit - please answer the mail!

I would check the system requirements carefully since it does not appear as if any desktop version of TaxAct officially supports Windows 7.

Ultimately, you will be similarly situated with respect to all consumer-level, desktop versions of tax preparation software.

I agree 100%.  My oldest TurboTax CD is for tax year 1998, and I've been a loyal customer ever since.  However, being forced to change my OS is not a good business plan.  Scores of programs are built to run on various OS upgrades, so why can't TurboTax?  I was not happy being forced by Intuit to go from XP to W7, and I'll be darned if they think they can forced me to upgrade again.  Time to check out the competition and/or even open-source solutions.

TurboTax 2019 will run on a Windows 7 computer.  However, since Microsoft has stopped providing security updates, upgrading is recommended but not required to install TurboTax 2019.

This is a Microsoft thing, not a TurboTax thing. 

Solved: Will TurboTax 2019 still operate on Windows 7 ...

@Diogenator wrote:

...Time to check out the competition and/or even open-source solutions.

With all due respect, and to be perfectly blunt, why bother? After the 2019 tax year, you are not going to find any competitor that will provide a solution that does not involve upgrading your OS. 

The best place to complain is to Microsoft for ending Win 7 support.  The last thing Turbotax needs is media reports of their customers  being hacked and data stolen from their tax returns.  For this reason. TT simply cannot afford to continue to install their products on an unsupported operating system.  

The thing to do is go to Microsoft.  XP users got an extra year of support when that ended because so many users complained to them about ending XP support.  We have here the same situation.  MS has ended support for Win 7 so ALL software vendors have to stop supporting it.

lg20467

The Desktop Version of Turbo Tax for 2019 will install on computers running Windows 7. If you’re using TurboTax Online, there’s no impact to you as long as you meet the minimum system requirements.  For more information, click on the following link to see a TurboTax Help article on the subject:  Windows 7 end of support impact for TurboTax

I am NOT buying or upgrading to windows 10 tried it hate it! I have used TT Home Business for past 5 yrs IF TT Disc will not work in 2020 and beyond 2019 will be the LAST year I use TT! Your choice TT

AGREE!

yes including overloading and crashing your computer! Not everyone has 2k to dump into a computer they use to pay bills and file taxes as its main purpose!

FYI ... you will not be able to use any downloaded tax programs after this year ... the other major tax programs do not support Win 7 now.  You can use the online version instead.  And I just bought a new CORE  i5 laptop for less than $600 so I don't know where you are shopping ... and if you have a desktop version you only need to buy the tower since you already have the peripherals. 

This is all hogwash. There is simply nothing preventing TurboTax 2019 - both the US and Canada editions, from working on Windows 7.

It is an artificial limitation that Intuit seemed to have purposely introduced.

For the US 2019 version, at least they show you a warning dialog about Win7 becoming End-Of-Life BUT still allowing the user to proceed with the installation on win7.

For the Canadian 2019 version however, they took out that warning dialog, and the installer, by default, is blatantly preventing you from doing an install on a win7.

For how many times are the Canadians screwed over by Intuit!??

I have found a solution to install the TurboTax Canada 2019 edition on a win7. Can show you how it can be done. Just message me.

Thanks.

There are a number of apps that make Windows 10 screens look and feel like Windows 7.  They are easy to install - type in "make windows 10 look like windows 7".

Re: "There are a number of apps that make Windows 10 screens look and feel like Windows 7.  They are easy to install - type in 'make windows 10 look like windows 7'.

This ^ along with the other posts "recommending" to buy a laptop with win10, are amongst the most idiotic recommendations. Why the heck would I want to (a) buy win10 / a crappy OS that not only is bloated but also SPIES on you, (b) buy a laptop just to have win10 or (c) Buy a win10 and customize it to look like win7.

The dumbest post I've seen. Wake up folks!