turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

can't e-file

Turbo tax tells me I can't e-file because there is a program update I need to download. But when I search for updates, I am told I am uptodate and there are no updates available.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

can't e-file

It may be that the form(s) you need are not yet available.  Certain federal and state forms have not yet been finalized.  If your return contains one of these forms you will not be able to file your return until the form is ready. 

For current information on forms availability please click on the applicable link below:

TurboTax Online automatically updates the website when the forms become available.

In TurboTax CD/Download, you will be prompted to download updates when you open the program.  You can also update the program while you have it open by following these steps:

1. Click on the Online link in the black bar at the top of the page.
  2. Click on Check for Updates.
  3. TurboTax will download and install any updates available.  If there aren't any updates, you will receive the message "Your software is up to date."
JoeZ
Level 2

can't e-file

I am having the same problem. The forms are available. Just can't file.

can't e-file

Mine tells me that I'm missing forms (4 of them), but I know at least 2 of them are. When I try to update, I am told that I am up to date. Please advice...

can't e-file

Have the same problem. I just called the support line and the person I spoke with said she's received 4 calls so far with this same problem. She ran them through the basic tech support process but it didn't help. I've already made sure macOS Catalina was fully updated, TurboTax says no updates available. I'm using the downloaded version of Deluxe for Mac. The person said she thought it was related to the update they released on Friday afternoon (02/07/2020). She said someone is aware of it and I should try to e-file again on Monday.

EDIT to clarify -- I'm receiving the error saying an update is needed when TurboTax says it's already up to date.

UncaGup

can't e-file

I shut the program down, then restarted. It did a state update on restart, then transmit worked fine. Good Luck!

can't e-file

Sounds like you had a legit update needed. I’m still having the same issue. It says no updates are needed but won’t transmit because an update is needed.

can't e-file

Having the same issue. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted the saved file and re entered all the tax information to get the same results! Yet, it says software is updated...... I am losing my mind!

Lms1
Level 2

can't e-file

Same problem with efiling!

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with customer support!

in order to efile, the rep had me uninstall Deluxe then he added Premier and my state to my account (at no charge).  We downloaded the Premier and state and I was then able to efile.

Bottom line is it is a software issue with Deluxe TurboTax!!

Hope this information saves someone time and a headache!

can't e-file

Just an update — Turbo Tax ran an update this morning that allowed me to e-file. It looks like the issue I was having has been resolved.

can't e-file

Having same problem...try to transmit return...says I need to update which I do but still can't transmit...what to do next?

can't e-file

Same problem...try to transmit returns but says I need to update which I do and it says I'm updated...still can't transmit!  Help!

can't e-file

I am at a loss. Spent over 30 minutes on with a customer service rep and got no where! Uninstalled, reinstalled, shut down, restart, shut off anti virus, connected to modem. NOTHING :( 

can't e-file

It appears it's a problem with Deluxe and it is continuing with all these complaints.  I just tried for the first time and got the same error message.  My fed and state taxes are pretty straight forward, nothing fancy.  So TurboTax Tech support ~ chime in ~ there's a tech problem with your program!!

can't e-file

Check for updates again.  I was having the problem all afternoon.  I just checked for Updates and there was one available.  I updated and retried to eFile.  Everything went through.  Appears they fixed the problem.  

Manage cookies