turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I transfer a completed 2019 download return to 2020 online? Online says I'm still working on the 2019 tax year.

I've tried using different user IDs.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Can I transfer a completed 2019 download return to 2020 online? Online says I'm still working on the 2019 tax year.

So you are trying to use online for 2020 instead of using desktop again?  And you want to transfer the 2019 information to the new 2020 return?

How to transfer last year’s return? https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The ONLINE program is currently for the 2020 return ONLY ... you cannot be completing a 2019 return at this time. 

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year (it hasn't been updated with the new dates yet)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you used the Desktop program before you may notice several differences and not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

I tried that and it says "transfer complete, select continue to start your 2019 tax return" and none of my 2019 schedule E stuff has transferred to the 2020 return :(

1)   IF you transferred a 2019 tax file from your computer to an Online account, it could be that there's an info screen that TTX missed updating the text to show the proper year.  Get in a few steps, and then look at the left-sidebar and see if it says 2020 there.

2)  Sched E didn't transfer?  Make sure it was the proper .tax2019 data file.  Don't use a PDF file.  In past years a PDF file transferred so little as to be almost useless, but I don't know whether it's improved much or not this year.....their FAQs on PDF transfers from 2019 to 2020 don't say how far they can go.

3)  maybe a bad TTX server in your area TTX doesn't know about?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

My money is on the fact you either transferred the PDF  or   the wrong .taxfile if you saved the return more than once in stages.   Open the 2019 program and save the return again now and add something like "as filed" to the file name so you are sure to transfer the correct file.  

Also be aware the .taxfile must be on the hard drive ... the transfer cannot happen from a removable storage medium.  

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

Always remember to shut off the auto update function once you have filed your returns and do not do any updates unless you have safeguarded the PDF & .taxfiles to a removable storage unit for safekeeping.  Click on ONLINE then Update Preferences.... don't be afraid to click on all the  menu headings to find all the goodies that are hiding. 

Maybe post a screen shot of where it says 2019 so we can let the moderator know if it needs to be fixed to say 2020.

Thanks everybody!  I did find a larger .tax file (3MB!) that worked when I transferred it.  Yaaaaaay!

Great!  Thanks for letting us know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies